1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Columbo, Oct 1, 2006.

?

Who is it?

1. Ryan Howard (incredible second half, but 2 HRs and 11 RBI in final 21 games as Phils died)

19 vote(s)
    57.6%
  2. Albert Pujols (Many numbers pale with Howard's, but he had a huge finish)

14 vote(s)
    42.4%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Berkman doesn't make my ballot.

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Either Uggla or Hanley Ramirez, but I know it won't be Ramirez. No one around here respects steals like they should.

3. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Howard slowed down because he got almost nothing but IBBs for the last two weeks. And I don't want to hear the Pujols' team was better argument, either. Check the standings. Not Howard's fault Pujols got to play in the dog-ass NL Central.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Pujols would get my NL MVP vote every day, and twice on Sunday, and he should already have 3, 4, maybe 5 awards, if it weren't for one B. Bonds.

But ...

Howard singlehandedly kept his team in the race all summer, until they stopped throwing to him the last three weeks. He was the reason the Phils were still alive on the next-to-last day of the season.

Pujols absolutely deserves to win the award -- hell, they should rename it after him right now. He IS that valuable. But once again, there was one player in the league that just cannot be denied, for this one season.

Howard would get my vote.

5. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Well, from the drones who believe that the MVP's teammates determine if he is MVP (i.e. he must be on a playoff team), the tired "The Phillies certainly could have missed the playoffs without Howard" refrain might be heard.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

And that's fine. As long as those same people admit the only reason they're voting for Pujols is because he plays for a team in the NL Central. Because the Phils actually won more games than the Cardinals. Edit: And, unless I'm wrong, the Cardinals would have missed the playoffs had they played in any other division in baseball.

Hell, Howard nearly carried a team to the playoffs that had its own GM declare it dead at the trade deadline.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

This... "They didn't pitch to him" line is a little fluffy.

You think they pitched to Pujols?

I saw Pujols many times hit... DRIVE... pitches that were clearly not strikes.

Howard didn't get it done in the final three weeks.

8. DyePack

DyePack New Member

It has to be Pujols.

9. not sure I'd say Phils died ... 18-9 in last 27?

10. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

13-8 in those final 21 games.

Their season died, I guess I could have typed.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Ryan Howard is awesome, but when you look at Pujols' numbers and think about him missing time because of injury it is unbelievable. While Howard carried the Phillies to an extent he also had Chase Utley and Jimmy Rollins having monster seasons around him, while Pujols had Preston Wilson, and what is left of Scott Rolen and Jim Edmonds.
    I think you have to go with Pujols on this one.

12. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Ryan Howard's (and Albert Pujols) statistics for the month of September:

Howard Pujols
    BA: .387 .368
    OBP: .561 .464
    SLG: .763 .679
    OPS: 1.324 1.143

Draft saved Draft deleted