1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mayfly, Nov 20, 2007.

1. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

That would be true, expect his numbers aren't to be compared with Joey Gathright. Rollins isn't a typical leadoff hitter, by any means.

2. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

Anyone know if he had ann incentive for MVP votes in his contract?

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Considering he's still on his first contract, I'm guessing no.

Also, have you seen his numbers? It's not unprecedented for a lights-out middle reliever to get a vote or two. Didn't Howry get a few before he came to the Cubs?

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Maybe Marmol is that good?

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

5-1 59G 1SV 69.3IP 3HR 35BB 96K 1.43ERA 1.096WHIP

6. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Good point, Simon. That's what put Tulowitzki over the top for rookie of the year -- an unbelievable year at shortstop, against the relatively unsightly defensive play of Braun. Oh, wait, Tulowitzki didn't win. Never mind.

So rookie of the year winner was all offense. If that had been the case for MVP, well, Holliday might win. Probably not, though. Your point is certainly valid; I just think at least one of those two Rockies merited some hardware.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The difference in the offensive numbers between Rollins and Holliday wasn't as large as the gap between Braun and Tulowitzki.

8. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

You're right, OOP, so I could still see Rollins winning. But Tulowitzki had excellent offensive numbers, even if not as good as Braun (which is arguable if you do as seemheads do and extrapolate all this stuff out to the nth degree). And Braun was relatively terrible on defense, while Tulowitzki should have earned his first Gold Glove -- another honor he got shortchanged on.

Not saying all these winners aren't worthy. Just that a Rockies player should have gotten something, Tulowitzki perhaps more so than Holliday.

9. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I think that the Coors Field argument just kills all the Rockies' attempts to garner awards. If a player had even stats, like Rollins, or just a smidgen over, then I could see it fine.

In Milwaukee, it was Fielder and Braun carrying the team. In Colorado, it was Holliday, Atkins and Tulowitzki. You can't shortchange Tulo, but what Braun did in a shortened campaign is pretty great too. Look at Howard, how he won the NL ROY.

10. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You lost me there on the argument that a Rockies player should have gotten something. That is not and should not be part of the decision-making process on these awards. They are separate awards and should be voted on based on the best candidate, not on any particular team deserving something.

I do agree that Tulowitzki was robbed of the Gold Glove and wouldn't have argued with him winning the Rookie of the Year, because of his defense and because he was contributing all season while Braun didn't even come up until the end of May. But Braun's numbers are obscene given the amount of time this season he spent in the minors.

I can absolutely see the argument for Holliday over Rollins, too, though I'm sure the boost both Holliday and Tulowitzki get from playing in Coors Field probably hurt them in the eyes of voters. And don't start with me on Rollins' home park. Yes, it's a great park for home runs, as is Coors, but it is not nearly the advantage for hitters in terms of batting average that Coors is. There is a huge difference in the home/road splits of Holliday and Tulowitzki, not so much for Rollins.

Just because both votes were close does not, however, mean that the Rockies as a team deserved to get one of them.

11. daveevansedge

daveevansedge Member

Right again, OOP. I should have been more clear -- I'm not arguing for the team, just because the Rockies had a good season or anything like that. I'm only arguing two individuals who had outstanding seasons; I believe at least one of those two merited ROY/MVP honors, and Tulowitzki should have been the Gold Glove winner. But I understand your points, and everyone else's. So goes it.

12. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Even worse, the Phillies' lead-off man had a worse on-base percentage than his TEAM'S average. He was a good offensive player batting at the top of a great lineup in a ballpark that inflated his power stats.

In 20 years, people will look back at this era and see Albert Pujols and Jimmy Rollins have the same number of MVP awards. What a colossal fuck up.

Draft saved Draft deleted