1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP - Joey Votto

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

Yes, that's what I wrote.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Then you wrote incorrectly. He was as good as anybody in the NL and his team performed better than the other two legit MVP contenders.

3. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Forgive my ignorance, but aren't you talking about a career/lifetime achievement award vs. MVP for any given season?

4. outofplace

I don't think he is saying that Pujols deserves it based on his previous success. I think he is saying that Votto only got it because his is a more compelling story -- which is a load of crap.

5. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

That's debatable, but you're missing the point. I don't have much desire to get into a lengthy discussion about it.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

We get your point, ridiculous though it may be, that the only reason Votto won was because he is a new/better story that Pujols winning again.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I used to live on Albert Avenue in Mimico. Maybe the street was named after him. :)

8. outofplace

Check out my post just above yours. I'm pretty sure that was your point and I am even more sure that it is ridiculous.

9. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Regarding the margin, I think it's because the Reds made the playoffs and none of the other top MVP candidates' teams did. Shows that the voters put a heavy emphasis on that when two players are otherwise equal.

I'm sure if you asked each guy to rate Votto's season and rate Pujols' season on a scale of 1 to 10, Votto might average 9.5 and Pujols 8.9 or something, but they're not doing that here. Have to pick one or the other. All or nothing.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Story on Joey in today's Toronto Star

http://www.thestar.com/sports/baseball/mlb/article/895137--feschuk-a-million-swings-led-toronto-s-joey-votto-to-mvp

Reason for his success in baseball? He couldn't skate.

Toronto's " lack of locally bred professionals can be chalked up to hockey’s hold on most of the best athletes. So maybe the great blessing of Votto’s life, as he revealed in the Sports Illustrated cover story that accompanied his amazing summer, is that he was awkward enough on ice that a high-school girlfriend dumped him after he unfurled his skaky-ankled exploits on a date at a rink."

Can't play hockey? Play baseball. :)

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I'm not sure how people can complain about the margin - if you think he's the best choice, & 31 out of 32 voters agreed with you, would you have preferred that more of them got it wrong?

12. Scouter

Scouter Member

Considering he just finished his third full season, I think that might be a bit of a stretch. He had two very good years prior to this one, but nowhere near being "the absolute best player in major league baseball."

Draft saved Draft deleted