1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL MVP - Joey Votto

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 22, 2010.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because MVP is not just about stats.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Votto had a higher GUAPA Factor and also led the league in LASIKEXTREMITY, two very important Sabermetrics. Sure, his GROP wasn't as high as high as his VDOT but when you add in his MUBWAMA Corolary, I don't see how the choice can be disputed.

3. jagtrader

jagtrader Active Member

It's about whatever storyline the voters like that season. Votto is a good choice, at least. He's no Jimmy Rollins.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

See? I knew somebody would argue.

First of all, this is the one award for which team success has to be a factor. Votto's Reds won the NL Central. Pujols' Cardinals missed the playoffs in that very same division. Given how close they were statistically, that is enough to give it to Votto.

Votto also beat Pujols in batting average, slugging percentage, on-base percentage and stolen bases.

5. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Since I'm a Cardinals fan, I probably can't offer an unbiased perspective. But I will try.

Votto is deserving of the award, but Pujols is right there with him. For it be a landslide vote is ridiculous. It's pack journalism at its best...or worst. There's no way that 31 of 32 writers sat down and objectively compared the two and came out with Votto ahead. I can see Votto winning for a number of reasons. Foremost, he's a new guy. Pujols has been there. It's nice to spread the cheese around a little. Additionally, the Reds reached the playoffs, and there's some notion out there that a guy is more valuable because his team won more games. I get all that.

But there's no way to justify that kind of lopsided voting. The two teams were separated in the standings by just a few games. And that difference is only partly due to the two men in question. In terms of statistics, I could make a strong argument for Pujols. After all, he had more homers and RBIs. Pujols also struck out only 76 times compared to 125 times for Votto. Pujols also won a Gold Glove.

I welcome any comments that can help me to understand how 31 of 32 writings drew the same conclusion. Clearly, a lot of folks believe that Pujols didn't deserve any consideration. But argue your point. Because I'm in the land of confusion right now.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

No votes for Strasburg?

Out-fucking-rageous!!!!!

7. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

His SWS Factor fell after he got hurt.

8. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

True, but it was high enough that missing the last couple months couldn't have dropped it that far. Then again, his HOLYEFF and JFC ratings went down the tube when he got hurt, too. That's how you lose an MVP race right there.

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Because voters have become more intelligent over the years. They know that RBI is an overrated stat and that OPS is a better indicator of production than the "Triple Crown" stats.

10. spnited

spnited Active Member

Are you saying Heineken that 31 people can not possibly have come to the same independent conclusion?
    I don't see what difference the margin makes. Votto had as good a year as Pujols on a team that won the division. What more do you need?

11. king cranium maximus IV

king cranium maximus IV Active Member

None of those are real things.

12. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

A 0.014 difference in OPS doesn't explain a 31-1 vote. In fact, all it means is that Votto had a batting average that was 12 points higher. Aw shit! Now we're back to one of those "Triple Crown" stats.

Draft saved Draft deleted