1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

If the Phillies didn't clinch he would of had another start, but now he'll most likely sit till the first game of the playoffs. He should definitely win the award. If got more run support during his loses, he would of definitely had 25 wins this season.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Perhaps, but it really isn't going to matter. It would have taken a couple of rough outings to finish out the season for Halladay not to win the award and he turned in a dominant performance instead. Also, Wainwright probably won't pitch again this season due to some soreness in his elbow.

I think it was closer than others did, but Halladay locked it up last night. I still think an argument can be made that Wainwright's numbers are slightly better (I tend to favor ERA over everything else), but it is close enough that Halladay should get it for throwing more innings, helping his team to more success and dominating late in the season.

3. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Very well put Outofplace. Their ERA are very close, Wainwright is at 2.42 and Halladay is at 2.44. Like you mentioned Halladay as pitched 20 more innings then Adam, which makes Doc's ERA more impressive in my book and yours as it seems.

Some people will make the argument that Halladay as allowed way to many hits, which I somewhat agree, but what's impressive is he still had an ERA of 2.44 while he allowed 231 hits this year. That means that a lot of those base runners never came home to score.

Halladay also pitches in Philadelphia which is not an easy place to pitch.

I agree with you outofplace, it's very close but Halladay takes it.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Halladay also compensated for those hits by only walking 30 batters all season. That last start actually brought his WHIP below Wainwright's (1.04 to 1.05) for the season.

5. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Wow. Just saw this from the ESPNStatsInfo Twitter feed...

Roy Halladay has 219K - 30BB, last time that combo got hit? The Cy Young in 1904 w/ 200K - 29 BB

6. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Halladay has tremendous control, he's never really walked a lot of batters in his career(except when he was having problems with his mechanics early on)

None the less, that stat is extremely impressive.

Draft saved Draft deleted