1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 19, 2010.

1. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Anyone think a relief pitcher has a shot this year?

I would say Heath Bell deserves some consideration. The stats: 5-0, 1.84 ERA, 37 saves for the first-place Padres.

2. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Unless a reliever as an incredible year, and I mean something that will blow you away then he doesn't deserve a Cy Young.

3. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

As of August 20th, I think Wainwright is the unanimous winner and Halladay is the unanimous No. 2.

Third place can go to Hudson, Johnson or Ubaldo.

However you slice it, the Cy Young winner this year will really, really deserve it.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lincecum.......(ducking.)

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Hanson was my preseason, out-of-the-box pick for NL Cy Young.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No way a relief pitcher gets serious consideration, not with so many deserving starting pitchers.

7. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Another stellar performance for Roy Halladay last night.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

As in the AL, an award with several worthy candidates and there should be no bitching when it is presented to one of them.

9. Crash

Crash Active Member

Last year, I typed that exact sentence about Javy Vazquez and Jair Jurrjens, who were both absolutely phenomenal for Atlanta. Seems the Braves enjoy making their pitchers work really hard only to get a ND in a 1-0 win.

10. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

Mat Latos.

11. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

Leads in both my magic numbers, ERA and opp OBP. Problem is he's got way less innings, so if the other numbers are close, I'm gonna lean toward the guy with more innings.

If he wins those categories by a good margin, though....

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He did lower his ERA to a major-league best 2.21 while winning his 14th tonight, so I would think he at least merits strong consideration at this point.

I would probably go with Wainwright or Johnson at this point. They aren't far behind Latos in ERA, but both have carried much heavier loads. Johnson is hurting now, though, so that could hurt his chances.

Draft saved Draft deleted