1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Ilmago, Aug 19, 2010.

1. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

If Zito pitched for the Cardinals, I could see that curve ball working into his mid 40s.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

You are right.

I'll stop and save it for another day.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jimenez was looking a like a runaway with his wins but now that Wainwright has caught him while Jimenez is fading I find it hard to believe that Jimenez is going to win. Wainwright's stats trump Jimenez in everything but win %. Halladay needs to catch Wainwright or at least get to 20.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Jimenez is fifth at best right now and fading. Wainwright has as many wins and a much lower ERA. It's not close.

5. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

For the record, starting this year there are now 5 spots on the Cy Young ballot. I realize the start of the thread asked for top 3, but just pointing that out as an FYI.

6. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

How does Jimenez stack up in DIPS and dERA?

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Whatever the answer, it is more telling than comparing wins.

8. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Well, in a hitters' park he's 8th in WHIP, second in hits per 9 IP, 10th in Ks per 9 IP, and 3rd in home runs allowed, so he has to be pretty good. He also has really good splits with men on base, but in addition, keep in mind that while he is 8th in innings, he is 4th in batters faced which is an EXTRA disadvantage of playing in a pitcher's park. Even if you adjust everybody's rates to account for this hitters park, pitchers simply can not pitch as many innings in a hitters park.

9. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Since June 20, Ubaldo Jiminez < Tommy Hanson.
    BTW, if Hanson had any run support and the same bullpen performances Hudson has gotten, he'd be having a hell of a season.

10. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

Th
    If Clemens didn't take any steroids he might not be considered on of the best pitchers to ever play the game.

There's a lot of what if's in the world of sports, and we can't do anything about them.

11. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

It's not a big if. The bullpen has been solid for Hudson, but it's blown a couple games for Hanson, who has also been killed by run support.

12. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

So as Halladay, but he still pitches well enough to get the victory.

Draft saved Draft deleted