1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young .. whaddya think?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 3, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

12 vote(s)
    31.6%
  2. Lincecum

11 vote(s)
    28.9%
  3. Sabathia

14 vote(s)
    36.8%
  4. Other

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

5 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 4 BB, 7 K.

Please tell me you're kidding.

EDIT: Oh, never mind. You're talking about 2000 ALCS. 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 15 K.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA200010140.shtml

If you go by game score, that is indeed the most dominant postseason pitching performance ever. T-2 is Dave McNally ('69 ALCS) and Babe Ruth ('16 WS). Don Larsen is T-4 and Bob Gibson's 17 Ks is T-6.

2. spnited

spnited Active Member

The only no-hitter I ever saw live was Dwight Gooden against the Cubs at Shea in September of 1984... except

In the fith ining, Keith Moreland hit a 50-foot chop along the third base line that Ray Knight fielded and never made a throw. Had he let it go, there is no doubt the ball would have gone foul.
    Considering the Cubs never touched him the rest of the way (but only 11 Ks for Doc), that should have been a no-hitter.

3. david kaye

david kaye Member

Tough to find a more dominating performance in anyone else's lifetime.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sorry, meant 2000 ALCS.
    9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 2 BB, 15 K

Edit: Though that game you mention was pretty dominant. :)

Edit No. 2: Just noticed he threw 138 pitches in that game. Maybe Santana should try that next time he has a great game going.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

To be honest, I'm not sure I have ever seen Wood's.

I've seen all 20 strikeouts in a compilation video, but never seen the game.

6. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Thing about that one, 'Gola, wasn't just the fastball, which was in the upper 90s.

He was throwing the best of that breaking ball that ruined his arm -- 12-to-6, eyeballs to in the dirt.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I do remember that curve he used to throw.

Next time it's on ESPN Classic I'll tape it.

8. david kaye

david kaye Member

Strikeout No. 20 looks like he's throwing a wiffle ball.

9. Drip

Drip Active Member

Saw Sandy Koufax throw a no-hitter against the Phillies. The only one I've ever seen live. Covered many one-hitters and of course have seen many no-hitters on the tube.
    I firmly believe that Kerry Wood basically ruined himself during that fantastic rookie season. He hasn't been the same since and I kind of blame the Cubs management for it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Roger vs. Seattle

He fans 20, and you can be pretty sure he was juice free.

11. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

1. Webb
    2. Lincecum

3. Santana

Would be a lot closer if Lincecum didn't miss any starts.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. So glad I happened to flip by WGN that afternoon. By far the best pitching performance I have ever watched. I started the VCR rolling around the fourth inning, just in case he managed to keep it up.

I've been thinking about that one a lot with the controversy about Sabathia's one-hitter. I think the hit in that one was at least as bad, if not worse. I always thought awarding a hit rather than charging Kevin Orie with an error was a homer call and I was very surprised they didn't change it during the game.

I've seen a no-hitter live (Francisco Cordova and Ricardo Rincon combined for 10 innings against the Astros at Three Rivers Stadium in 1997), but it was nowhere close to what Wood did that day.

All due respect to Sabathia's dominance since the trade, I don't see how you give it to him for half of a season when Lincecum and Webb have been so dominant all year.

Draft saved Draft deleted