1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young poll

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Freelance Hack, Oct 2, 2006.

?

Who would earn your first-place vote for the 2006 Cy Young Award?

1. Roy Oswalt 15-8, 2.98 ERA, 1.17 WHIP

17.8%
  2. Chris Carpenter, 15-8, 3.09, 1.07

24.4%
  3. Brandon Webb, 16-8, 3.10, 1.13, 235 IP

20.0%
  4. John Smoltz, 16-9, 3.49, 1.19

2.2%
  5. Aaron Harang, 16-11, 3.76, 1.27, NL best 216 K

4.4%
  6. Carlos Zambrano, 16-7, 3.41, 1.29, 210 K

4.4%
  7. Derek Lowe, 16-8, 3.63, 1.27

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Bronson Arroyo, 14-11, 3.29, 1.19, NL best 240-2/3 IP

2.2%
  9. No one -- The Cy Young shouldn't go to a No. 2 pitcher

15.6%
  10. Fill-in entry (post below)

8.9%
  1. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Yup. Convinced me.

Trevor Hoffman's got my vote.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Your patent idiocy aside, I should never vote early in thes things.

Affects about 2/3 of the votes.

Totally explains why Jim Rice isn't in the Hall.

What a bunch of thinskins.

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Yup. If pube is disagreeing with you, you more than likely are on to something.

4. tenacious_g

tenacious_g Member

Out of curiosity, I looked ad Carpenter's no decisions. I know other pitchers likely did the same, but it looks like Carpenter pitched well enough to get at least five more wins (a 9 inn, 1 ER game; 2x 6 inn, 0 ER; 2x 7 inn, 1 ER). Clemmens like in terms of run support in a lot of his starts this year, I guess, but I know a lot of pitchers can say the same.

I'm not for career awards being handed over for Cy Young, heisman, etc, but if ever there was a time, I'd say this might be the one for Hoffman.

That rambling post said, my vote is Carpenter. And I agree, a slap across the face of Izzy (8 losses, 10 blown saves and a 3.55 ERA for a closer is awful) would be acceptable for even making this Cy Young race (or the division race) a question this year.

5. Gold

Gold Active Member

No, it's because Jim Rice was a one-dimensional player who played in a very favorable park and had a fairly short career for a Hall of Famer.

6. Gold

Gold Active Member

I don't know that he was a dominant player when the Red Sox won in 1986. And I think maybe because he was so awesome in his first six years, everything that came after was a disappointment. I would be curious - and maybe there is a site - to know what Rice's statistics were on the road.

The guy I think should be in the Hall of Fame is Jack Morris. For most of the 80s, he was a dominant pitcher. I know the knock on his was a high ERA, but he pitched in a hitter's ballpark for most of his career and he would also go deep into games, maybe giving up a run later in the game but still winning.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

On Rice: He had 120 RBI in 1986, but got little credit since Clemens' season was so remarkably dominant. The sudden decline was just that. By the 1988 All-Star break Rice was pretty much done. I vote for him every year. He was widely seen as the best power hitter in the AL for five or six seasons. That's a long time atop that heap.

8. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Morris not in the hall is a pure travesty.

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I noticed that the poll list does not include the one guy who flirted with no less than four no-hitters this season -- Chris Young.

AND his team made postseason.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

He only won 11 games. In 31 starts.

11. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

If Jim Rice wasn't forced to sit out the 75 Series, would the Red Sox have won it? And if Jim Rice won a World Series, how differently would people view him?

12. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Bumping up with the announcement that Brandon Webb won this year's NL's Least Mediocre Pitcher of the Year Award.

Draft saved Draft deleted