1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young: Holy close vote, Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 19, 2009.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Didn't cite W-L, go back and read.
    How was he the best pitcher? How was he better than Jurrjens?

How come he got one whole vote? Of course, that IS more than Jurrjens.

Vasquez doesn't belong in a Top 3 discussion. He and Jurrjens both belong in a Top 10.

I'd take Hanson long term over both but we are talking about this year.

But, overall, you are right. I'm ignorant. I don't know jackshit.

Carry on.

2. Moderator1

I did put in a quick call to someone who knows jackshit - My Son the Braves Fan.
    He says Vasquez is the Braves' third best pitcher overall and was second best this year, just barely - both should have won 4-5 more games with any kind of run support.
    Where's the best place to go to find run support? Baseball reference? After I have a little coffee, I may go look.

We're basically splitting hairs here. Both had great years. Does anyone other than one voter think either belonged in the Top 3?

I'm still waiting for one poster to answer why he thinks Wainwright doesn't belong in the conversation.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It depends on how granular you want to get.

Vazquez and Jurrjens were pretty much the same in terms of how many runs they gave up.

In terms of the things that pitchers do to prevent runs (avoiding walks, getting strikeouts, avoiding HRs, even avoiding hits), Vazquez was much better in general (about the same in HR and H, a lot more Ks and a lot fewer BBs).

I'm not a big fan of going that deep into peripherals for awards, though. For awards purposes, I'd consider them about equal.

4. Moderator1

I agree Rick. As I noted, it is splitting hairs. I'd take either one of them in a heartbeat.
    I'd still like to hear an argument as to why Wainwright isn't worthy.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

So would I. I thought he was a clear No. 3 behind Lincecum and Carpenter, but absolutely among the top 3 in the NL this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted