1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy Young: Holy close vote, Batman

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by mb, Nov 19, 2009.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Completely useless comparison because you left out ERA. The only question is if you did that intentionally to bolster your arugment or you just screwed up.

It also shows that you are flat-out wrong in your statement about why people insist that Carpenter has to be in the top three. His 2.24 was significanly lower than the rest of the National League. Lincecum was the closest at 2.48.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I'm giving him shit for the Kevin Brown debacle.

I stipulated that Haren had three bad starts to finish that blew up his ERA.

3. Simon_Cowbell

Carpenter
    Lincecum
    Vazquez

4. outofplace

But those do count. It is a real issue with Haren, too. The guy falls apart late every season.

And Wainwright had more than victories on Vazquez. He also had a lower ERA and he pitched more innings.

5. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Anyone who would vote for Vazquez is an idiot.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I have less of a problem with leaving out ERA than I do with leaving out IP and HR/9, including WHIP and double-counting K/BB.

7. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Must also be useless since I left out IP. I guess Carpenter's four less starts than Lincecum and Vazquez are meaningless. OOOPS!

If Carpenter pitched as many innings as Lincecum he would have allowed eight less earned runs had his ERA stayed the same. Wow, huge difference.

The voting shows that everyone thought the three guys were pretty equal. If Lincecum hadn't won last year, he probably wouldn't have won this year. I'll bet being the reigning Cy pushed him over the top.

Anyone who unequivocally says one of the guys deserved it over the others is a blowhard.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Completely baseless. Haren's Sept/Oct ERA for his career is right in line with every other month.

9. slytiger

slytiger Member

Here are the odds to win the Cy Young from the end of the season.

Tim Linecum 1/2
    Chris Carpenter 1/1
    Dan Haren 10/1
    Adam Wainwright 12/1

10. outofplace

Ok, that last statement doesn't apply to me since I said no such thing. I said those three are clearly the top three.

And you did mention innings pitched. I'm now coming down on the side that you intentionally left off the stat that fucks with your argument. How very fraudlent of you.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Vazquez superior WHP and better Opp. BA

12. Simon_Cowbell

Think about watching the games one of these days, OK?

Draft saved Draft deleted