1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NL Cy (with NL MVP threadjack)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BB Bobcat, Sep 26, 2008.

?

NL Cy Young

1. Webb

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  2. Lincecum

19 vote(s)
    40.4%
  3. Sabathia

15 vote(s)
    31.9%
  4. Santana

10 vote(s)
    21.3%
  1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Re: NL Cy Young -- refresh the debate

Understood. I was just raising a question about basing things only on Sabathia's three months with the Brewers.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Lincecum. The brilliance was there all season long. 18-5 and he left with 5 leads that were wasted. (I know Johan got jobbed out of quite a few though).
    He was the more dominant. While Johan was studly at the end; ultimately the Mets are right there with the Giants on Mon. night, watching, so its not like the Mets are going for the World Championship.

Lincecum should have started the All-Star game and hopefully he gets the Cy Young.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

"The stretch" being a full three months for Sabathia. That's more than a stretch.

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

He just happened to mix in his weaker starts all season. The overall numbers are very similar to Santana's, as you pointed out yourself.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

And a big fat 0-0, 0.00, before then.

I'll give Sabathia third place over Webb, although I'm a little iffy on that, too.

What Sabathia did will be remembered in Milwaukee. Just like what Randy Johnson did in '98 might be remembered in Houston. It's not Cy Young-worthy. ... I'll concede that it'll be remembered more if the Brewers somehow win the pennant. But he was a rental (assuming he doesn't re-sign this fall.) It was three months of greatness -- and it wasn't even singular greatness, because Santana was every bit as good for those three months.

Comes down to Lincecum vs. Santana, and I'm OK with either one winning it. Santana's the best pitcher in the league; Lincecum was the better pitcher this year, IMO. Only way Sabathia is in the picture, I think, is if there's no other dominant candidates ... like only Gooden was in '84, for Sutcliffe. That's simply not the case this year.

6. Re: NL Cy Young -- refresh the debate

I'm with Buckdub.

7. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I understand that logic for Cy Young, but Sabathia has to be in the conversation for MVP.

The biggest thing for me, was he was outstanding above and beyond the call of what is considered normal in today's game. Seven complete games to lead the NL in just 17 starts! Historically, if you project 35 starts, he's at a 1960s or 1970s level of CG's, remarkable for this era. The last CG on three day's rest with a playoff spot on the line.

He had a 1.65 ERA in a Brewers uniform and an 11-2 record. He was undeniably the difference and the lone rock on a Brewers team that needed every last ounce of what he could offer to get to the playoffs.

On a more subjective scale, it was the ballsiest performance in Brewers history. :D

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

With Santana and Lincecum, it's really, really close, as others have gone over.

So I ask my tiebreaker question: If your team could have either one to start a one-game playoff on Tuesday with the season on the line, who do you take? That's your Cy Young.

9. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Bob Howry?

10. pallister

pallister Guest

No.

11. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

That almost made my ears bleed. I now I read it instead of hearing it, but that's how severe BH's failure has become. Keeping him in the bullpen is like keeping a one-legged kid on the team to come pinch-kick in a game of kickball.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I hate to say it, because I've already made Lincecum's case about a dozen times this month and I truly do feel he should win ...

But the answer to that question is Ol' Blood and Guts Santana. He's the best pitcher in the game.

And I say that full well knowing that Brewers fans wouldn't lose a wink of sleep picking Sabathia for that game. And they'd be right, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted