1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ Middle Schooler Booted From School For "Jesus" Costume

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BNWriter, Nov 2, 2008.

1. BNWriter

BNWriter Active Member

Boy who goes to school dressed as Jesus for Halloween gets sent home for being disruptive.

I don't see the disruptive part, but were I a middle school kid with different beliefs, I might be offended (as I am sure my parents might be).

http://news.aol.com/article/school-boots-boy-over-jesus-costume/235134?icid=200100397x1212185851x1200772173

2. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

You don't fuck with the Jesus!

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i don't even know who jebus is.

4. Overrated

Overrated Guest

You probably wouldn't. He was home-schooled.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

that was hysterical on many levels.

i heart you Poo.

6. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

Man, if Jesus showed up at my middle school, I would have cheated off of his tests.

7. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Why would you be offended if you have different beliefs?

I have different beliefs than Jeffrey Dahmer (I don't, you know, eat people), but if someone dressed as him for Halloween, it would be a fine costume.

I think the more likely disruption would be if people who believe in Jesus thought the costume was in poor taste or made fun of him in some way. If you believe in Buddha, why on earth would it bother you if someone dressed as Jesus?

8. I Digress

I Digress Guest

I'm all for separation of church and state, but one kid wearing a jesus costume to school on a day when they're allowed to wear costumes does not in any way mean the school district is sponsoring christianity.

9. Paper Dragon

Paper Dragon Member

I think it's a perfect Halloween costume.

You can't get any scarier than a middle-school student dressed as Jesus.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

amen. i mean, eh.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

What if it was what bigpern suggested and it was Christians who were offended because they thought it was somehow disrespectful to their faith?

12. jps

jps Active Member

either way, it's full of fail. if you can dress as a witch or devil or nixon, Jesus is fair game, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted