1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ.com: Some Jersey City Muslims did celebrate 9/11, cop and residents say

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

You realize that it's a lot easier to click on the "like" button on your cell, while walking the dog, than it is to type out a reply, right?

And, I mean, the idea that I won't be back to reply is silly. One second folks are saying I post too much. The other, they're acting like you've run away if you don't respond immediately. Contrary to common opinion here, I do work for a living.

And, Bigpern didn't "nail" me, nor did I "edit" the article that I linked to. I posted one, contiguous excerpt, with nothing left out, and provided the link. I read the whole article, and the expectation is that others would as well.

The NJ.com quotes several people, including a retired cop on the record saying they saw Muslims celebrating in Jersey City. The also mention the 911 calls. Is everyone convinced? No. Is that surprising? No. Is it enough for me to believe? Yes.

You are free to draw your own conclusions.

At the very least, it proves that there are credible accounts of people celebrating 9/11 in Jersey City.

The idea that such a thing never happened is silly. People act like it's some insult to insinuate that it happened. That the very idea is ludicrous. It not only didn't happen, it couldn't have happened.

Fuck that.

It's pandering to the whole idea that all Muslims are patriotic Americans, and that what we should most fear after acts of Islamic terror is not further acts of Islamic terror, but in fact Islamaphobia, and acts of ciolence against Muslims.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Actually, bigpern nailed you. I don't expect you to admit it, but he did. And you ignored his point more than once before finally responding when I pointed out that you were ducking it.

That others might have said you post too much is irrelevant. I've never said you post too much. That would be hypocritical of me. Despite what you attempted to suggest, there is no contradiction in my suggestion that you were once again running from a point you can't answer. I don't buy your excuse, but we've already established that I don't think you are trustworthy when you post here.

It is funny how you buy every bit of evidence that supports your claim while ignoring every bit of evidence in the story you posted and in many, many other reports that debunks your claim. I stand by my point. You want to dismiss all media as trustworthy unless you agree with what is written or posted.

The story includes contradictory reports. What it does not do is support Trump's claims regarding large numbers of Muslims celebrating in Jersey City. And that is the real point, that he was full of shit.

3. YankeeFan

I've got to give it to you Rip, you finally made me laugh.

It might not have been your intention, but you did it.

The very idea that a sportswriter would accuse me of being a "jock-sniffer" is the absolute funniest thing I heard all day.

What did you cover today? Boys or Girls HS basketball?

4. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Green font? :D

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

You're not even close. Do you have any idea how the process works?

6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

"I don't expect you to admit it." Ah, how could I forget that one?

old_tony likes this.
  7. YankeeFan

I wish that was true.

But, as we've seen all too often, there is precious little reporting done nowadays.

All it takes is one media report, and -- true or not -- it becomes Gospel.

Did the WaPo "fact checker" do any reporting before he awarded Trump's claim "four Pinocchios"? No. He ran a LexisNexis search, declared it to be thorough, and claimed there was no evidence of any celebrations. (While missing the report in his own paper.)

Chuck Todd didn't do any reporting when he argued with Trump, claiming there were no celebrations. He didn't even rely on the reporting of NBC News. He relied on the fact checkers claims that there were no celebrations.

If "the media" doesn't want to be defined as a monolith, it shouldn't operate as a pack.

8. YankeeFan

What process? Covering youth sports?

9. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

We're all out of dark roast. Can you swing by?

10. YankeeFan

There's no envy.

I've worked in partnership with major league sports teams, and for an MLB team.

I'm not impressed with meeting pro athletes, let alone sports writers. I had a strict policy that no one who worked with me was to ask the athletes we dealt with for an autograph or picture.

And, while Rip has no doubt attended more HS sporting events, I'd be willing to bet I've been in more pro (MLB, NFL, NBA, NHL) club houses/locker rooms/dressing rooms.

JC likes this.
  11. YankeeFan

I don't sell coffee.

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

'Twas pretty rich, wasn't it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.