1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NJ.com: Some Jersey City Muslims did celebrate 9/11, cop and residents say

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

But an extensive examination of news clips from that period turns up nothing.

Nothing. Not, some unsubstantiated reports. Nothing.

The clear implication is that no Muslims celebrated.

Talking heads on TV told us that if any Muslims celebrated, there would be news reports of it. The absence of such reports meant that no Muslims celebrated.

And, the Politifact and WaPo fact checks were used by reporters everywhere.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Still waiting for you to present your conclusive evidence of Muslim celebrations, because there isn't any in the article you posted.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

I heard that white people celebrated and CNN just darkened their complexions in the pictures.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

How did Trump know this happened, did he do his own investigation?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Let me know if you find anyone, who in the days after Trump' claim, says that their were some/any celebrations.

Everyone rushed to out to say there were none, and only "rumors" accounted for the belief that some had that such a thing had happened:

But numerous publications and local politicians have said Trump is incorrect.

Both Politifact and The Washington Post's Fact Checker analyzed Trump's claim. Politifact rated it"pants on fire" and The Washington Post gave it "four Pinocchios."

Neither outlet could find any news reports that corroborate Trump's account of events. There were a few reports of rumors that there were celebrations in New Jersey, along with images of Palestinians celebrating overseas that were broadcast locally.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/23/politics/donald-trump-new-jersey-cheering-september-11/

But definitively, I've said this a number of times: It didn't happen," Christie said Monday.

Chris Christie on Donald Trump 9/11 claim: 'Didn't happen' - CNNPolitics.com

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think what you're saying is that Trump must have been in the middle of those small New Jersey celebrations to have any knowledge of them, as they clearly weren't reported.

Therefore, Trump must hate America.

Good digging, YF!

7. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

YF, I'm asking an honest question. Do you believe the following could be considered "a report of Muslims celebrating the 9/11 attacks"?

From the archives: Paterson Muslims struggle to overcome stereotypes (2001)

Hours after the terrorist attack on the World Trade Center, a story spread across the state: Palestinians in Paterson were celebrating in the streets.

Braced for a riot, the Paterson police rushed to South Main Street, the center of the city's Middle Eastern community.

"When we got there," Paterson Police Chief Lawrence Spagnola said, "They were all in prayer."

8. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Of Trump, Putin and the media, which can be trusted the most?

9. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

You have not disproven Christie or the media yet. It may have happened, and I won't rule out the possibility. But you and Trump are convinced it most definitely did happen (to varying degrees). Since the media can't possibly prove the negative, why don't you go ahead and post the conclusive evidence you spoke about earlier to prove that it did happen. It's not in the article you posted to start this thread.

10. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

They're not much different at all, which is much more an indictment of the media than anything else.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The media is pretty, pretty big. No one can control the entire media. Not even Ruport Murdoch. Most do the best they can.

12. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

YF, your Geraldo Kit has arrived. Good luck!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 21, 2015
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.