1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine-year old apparently commits suicide at school

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Bad Guy Zero, Jan 22, 2010.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

This is an absolutely devastating story. Yesterday a nine-year old boy - Montana Lance - was found hanged in a restroom at Stewart's Creek Elementary School in The Colony, TX. The story I heard on KRLD mentioned that he was a frequent target of bullying.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/news/localnews/stories/012210dnmethanging.a15c906e.html

This story hits home for several reasons. The obvious reason is the age of Montana. I can't even fathom how dire his outlook on life must have been for him to take his own life. I grew up in The Colony. My eight-year old nephew lives there. I don't think he attends the same school that Montana did, but he is bullied at his school.

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

God, it's so crass, but all I can think is "holy shit."

What an absolute tragedy.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

There really are no words that adequately describe this ghastly tragedy.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

How awful. I don't know why kids are so mean like that. It's like they are wired that way.

I am glad that I didn't bully kids and in fact often stood up to bullies who were messing with other kids. Got in several scrapes over it, but they are all talk and no action.

I try to teach my kids not to make fun of others who seem different and to reach out to them, but ....

5. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Jesus. That's awful.

The latest episode of Criminal Minds was about a weirdo who got a bunch of teens to play The Choking Game. Apparently, if you choke yourself to a certain point, it's like getting high. But he set these kids up to do it to the point of suicide. Creepy stuff.

6. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yuck. What a horrible story.

The only way to deal with bullies is to stand up to them.

Hope those bullies are happy now.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Am I looking at an outdated link and is there one out there that attributes this directly to school bullying? The story I'm looking at says they don't know if that played a role. I don't want to just fling around accusations and theories, but there could be any number of things going on in his life that left this poor kid so hopeless.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I went to school in The Colony many moons ago. This hits home because of that, but also, because bullying is prevalent at my kids' current school. The school does little to nothing about it and it disgusts me to no end.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

My 13-year-old was being bullied mercilessly at his middle school. a few years ago. My ex and I complained until we were blue in the face, but they did nothing except send the bully to in-school-suspension. Great move, idiot school administrators. So he was still able to harass my kid before and after school.

We finally pulled him out of the school and put him in private school. First time we've agreed on anything in years, but it's worth the extra sacrifices to see him safe and happy.

School really have to get a clue on this crap. Bullies grow up to be thugs and killers.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

You would think, after hearing about the school shootings by kids who were bullied that schools would wise up to this stuff.

11. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

As I mentioned in my initial post I heard a story about this on a local news radio station this morning. In the story there was a sound bite of someone saying that the boy had been bullied. There isn't audio of the story on the stations site, but here's a link to their story:

http://www.krld.com/pages/6180693.php?contentType=4&contentId=5447434

12. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I had a female cousin who was bullied unmercifully in high school. This included violence, vandalism of her home and car and some of the most cruel phone, Internet harassment one can imagine. I mean my aunt was diagnosed with cancer during this mess and these bully girls openly and without remorse wished her mother dead.

Of course, my cousin tried to kill herself. Thankfully she wasn't successful, but some seven or eight years later and it still haunts her. Thing about all of this is, the cops and school were involved at the time, yet they did nothing to prevent it from getting progressively worse.

Draft saved Draft deleted