1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nine teens charged in bullying suicide

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 93Devil, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Care Bear

Care Bear Guest

Yeah, I'm pretty sure a lot of them learn it from other kids.

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Yeah, corporal punishment was allowed until recently.

And back in the good old days when kids got their asses whooped in school then at home, there was still crime, and bad people. The prisons were always pretty full.

Corporal punishment isn't the answer. Period. That genie ain't going back in the bottle, so let's talk about something doable.

3. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That never, ever happened in the history of the world before, right?

4. RickStain

You have absolutely no proof of that. Like I said: If this had happened 40 years ago, unless it happened in your town, you would have never heard of it.

But people are now comparing the worst thing they remember about their school experience (in one, maybe a handful, of towns) vs. the worst thing they hear about from the entire sample of schools in the country today, because it's going to be national news no matter where it happens.

5. RickStain

Maybe this guy wasn't paddled enough:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Whitman

Maybe the kid in this incident was secretly a transplant from the non-paddling future:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Olean_High_School_shooting

6. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Really walked into that one.

7. RickStain

Sorry, I was trying to give you a good excuse for being wildly wrong. Maybe it was reported and you just don't remember.

Either way, you are wildy wrong.

I guess when a kid is paddled enough, he learns to shoot at people outside the school and not in it, so it doesn't count the same. Or something.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Yes, because comparing two crimes that were seen as shocking in their day because they rarely happened with the horrifying shit that has become all to common in an increasingly violent culture shows just how far we've advanced as a society. America is much more violent than it used to be. Although I'm not sure how that happened given the proliferation of geniuses and their collective knowledge regarding human behavior and punishment.

9. RickStain

[​IMG]

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I'm willing to bet that when some of the boys came back from WWII, there was some pretty insane shit going on.

Either it was not reported, or they never were caught or the murders were never tied together due to poor communication.

11. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Plus, Rick, I don't think charts put together by arrogant sociologists are a valid or reliable measurement. I don't believe in them. The charts or the sociologists. [/thestupidkindofshitrickstainsayswhenhedisagreeswithadifferingopiniononasubject]

12. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Probably true. There were much fewer geniuses back in the day who had all the answers.

Draft saved Draft deleted