1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike Field Reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by ThatGuy, Apr 17, 2009.

1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Sorry, Chuck~Taylor has that job locked up.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

No, they aren't.

Definitely a no. There's no obligation for people to be interested in sports that don't interest them. I don't expect everyone to know who Sachin Tendulkar or Ricky Ponting is off the top of their head, and they are among the best in the world at their sport.

Rick
    (who knew Wambach and Catchings)

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

I only know three of the four. I don't know Mendoza.

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Why know anything? I consult Teh Googles.

5. ringer

ringer Active Member

re: "I only know three of the four. I don't know Mendoza."

Mendoza's sport (softball) has been axed from the Olympics so I'm not sure if she's playing anymore... but she is President of the Women's Sports Foundation and she's whip-smart. She's definitely worth knowing. If you get a chance to interview her, consider yourself lucky. She's great.

6. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

Everyone is overthinking this one a bit.

Nike isn't looking for a journalist because it is not a media source, it is a conglomerate. They aren't interested in journalistic integrity, they just want to sell their product.

How do you do that? You make people think it is sexy, hip and in style. Therefore, that's what they are looking for in a "reporter."

This isn't the job that will open the door to anyone trying to get hired by USA Today, but it is a way to make some money and get some connections for someone who fits the profile. I used to be the sports editor at my college paper and when I read this, I passed it along two a couple of girls who wrote for the paper that I thought might be interested. I hope they apply and I hope one of them gets it, because while it may not be the best job in sports journalism, it would be a fun way to spend a couple of years.

7. kanyessa

kanyessa New Member

They are trying to give girls opporunities and access to their athletes that are generally hard to get but much harder to get just getting into sports journalism. Yes it may not be conventional sports journalism but if you look at the website the girl has interviews both male and female nike athletes and will have a reel at that many in the business for years would be lucky to have. What other 18-24 year old can say they got access to interview Kobe Bryant and Serena Williams??

This looks like an opportunity that is whatever the person makes of it...and could be a really great one for someone.

8. ringer

ringer Active Member

re: "There's no obligation for people to be interested in sports that don't interest them."

Really? If I don't like baseball, basketball, or football, then I don't have to know anything about them in order to be a sportswriter? Sweet!

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

If your job isn't to cover them, no, you don't have to.

10. Editude

Editude Active Member

How is having access to interview Kobe Bryant or Serena Williams a journalistic end game? Do you use that claim to "fame" to get a better apartment? It's conversation fodder, not a career step.

11. gregcrews

gregcrews Member

It will absolutely get you a better apartment.

If you are writing about Kobe Bryant or Serena Williams people across the country if not around the planet will be reading what you are writing, because there are plenty of people who can't get enough of star athletes.

When I write a story, I'm lucky if 20,000 people read it and I've been at this for a few years. This is giving someone with less experience a chance to have a readership in the millions...I'd say that's a pretty decent career step.

12. Double J

Double J Active Member

Samantha Stevenson and Carolyn Hughes to the white courtesy phones.

Draft saved Draft deleted