1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nike, adidas and Marcus Jordan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by trifectarich, Oct 22, 2009.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Good post. Life really isn't that complicated.

2. Cousin Jeffrey

Cousin Jeffrey Active Member

Everyone is so up in arms about this, but this is really a unique situation that won't reoccurr until LeBron Jr. is 18. How many other kids have their own family shoe? It's not like he prefers Nike over Adidas. It's his freaking dad on the logo!

Adidas should have said they'll give Marcus a shoe waiver out of respect for his father, and then given the team socks, warmup jackets, pants, etc with big old Adidas logos on them.

3. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Respect for his father? What did Michael Jordan ever do for Adidas? This is business, not sentiment. Hell, why does Marcus think he's special?

4. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Jordan is the managing partner of the Charlotte Bobcats, if (in fantasyland) Marcus ends up playing for a different NBA team will he wear a Bobcats uniform??

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Spoiled brat, gutless coach, end of story

6. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

lololol

7. Cousin Jeffrey

What's the "business" though? Seriously, it's Central Florida.

This is an extenuating circumstance that will never happen again _ how many people have a shoe sub-company named after them? _ and adidas should have said "f it." How many people even knew UCF was an adidas school?

On the flip side, adidas could care less is UCF dumps them, they got the attention already, and now they got to take an unlikely poke at the shoe giant and MJ. I didn't realize how small a market share the three stripes has in hoops.

8. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

What makes Jordan so special that he gets one set of rules and the rest of his team gets another? If shoes matter go to a Nike school. Otherwise stfu and show you're a team first kind of guy. You have 50 years after you get out of college to wear all the shoes your dad inspired that you want.

9. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

I'm sure UCF's minor-sport coaches, who probably have shoestring budgets and actually need the free or cut-rate adidas stuff to help sustain their programs, are just thrilled with Jordan Jr. too.

10. Cousin Jeffrey

Here's an interesting graf from Orlando Sentinel, via Big Lead:

UCF officials reached an agreement with adidas regional representatives allowing Jordan to wear Nike shoes despite the school's exclusive adidas contract. Higher-level adidas corporate officials later objected to Jordan being allowed to wear a competitor's shoes. UCF stood by the promise it made to Jordan that he could wear his father's shoes."

And don't think that Nike and Jordan Brand won't shower these teams with Swoosh gear. I've talked to coaches who deal with Jordan Brand, and they said the customer service is second-to-none.

11. bwright

bwright Member

It's not
    I disagree. I don't know Marcus personally, so he may be a spoiled brat, but I missed where he gave the school an ultimatum or anything like that.
    The school promised him he could wear his dad's shoes, and they kept that promise.
    Adidas (damn right I'm capitalizing it) is the villain here.

12. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Last I checked, it was a basketball team. They should all abide by the same rules. Coach should enforce the rules equally and player should expect equal treatment. If the coach did make that promise, it just supports my point.

Adidas isn't the villain, they are running a business. If I were sponsoring a school I'd expect that school to hold up its end of the bargain.

Draft saved Draft deleted