1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nigera considers gay-marriage ban

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by wickedwritah, Feb 14, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Nigeria's House of Representatives has held a public hearing on a new bill seeking to outlaw gay relations.

The bill, which could become law before April's elections, proposes a five-year sentence for anyone convicted of being openly gay or practising gay sex.

Critics say the bill is anti-freedom, but religious leaders say it will help "protect society's morals and values".

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/6362505.stm

(Why can't the Brits put the periods inside the quote marks, like we do?)

2. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Has attempts to ban gay relations in the U.S. helped protect our society's morals and values? Just wondering.

And Wicked...that's a good point, although you wonder why WE put the punctuation inside.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Now, Alley, why do you hate America? :)

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

But...but...but...I don't hate Nigeria!

5. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Gay Nigerian princes will be sending out emails soon pleading for help in arranging their marriages in the states. All they need is your bank account info so they can wire funds and have you purchase non-traceable airline tickets and marriage licenses.

6. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No, no, no.

Gay Nigerians will be writing a book. They're calling their NBA friend right now for advice on publishers. Imagine the significance of such revenue to a Nigerian.

7. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Homophobe.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Because they're right. :)

9. Yawn

Yawn New Member

No, I just understand that even gay liberals know how to make a buck - - and since you guys support it so much, and represent a clear majority of Americans, won't you buy the book? Sure you will. And you'll raise many gay Nigerians out of poverty.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

That doesn't change the fact that you're a homophobe.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And incomprehensible

Can we get simultaneous translation of Yawn's posts?

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I just wish the straight Nigerian princes would stop e-mailing me asking me for money.

Draft saved Draft deleted