1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nicknames submitted in youth sports copy

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 23, 2008.

1. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Member

LOL

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Why all the hate for your boy T. Jones?

[​IMG]

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

T., be a man and get a full name.

4. CM Punk

CM Punk Guest

Forget the youth sports. Years ago, I had a varsity high school coach ask me to call his team the "Big Red Machine" in my story. I couldn't bring myself to do it. I think I'll do it this season as I have officially given up.

5. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

Except gor Sarah Palin's kids, who got free travel off the state's dollar because they were on "official business."

6. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

only if you could refer to the coach as the big douchebag with a whistle

7. editorhoo

editorhoo Member

I just knew someone would shoot back with a 10-year-old public figure. ;)

8. fossywriter8

fossywriter8 Well-Known Member

Have a three-sport girl in our coverage area whose nickname is Cookie. It never sees the light of day in our paper, unless it's a quote.

On a related note, the weekly paper that covered my high school used my nickname in mentioning me once in a game story. It just felt weird.

9. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

covered a kid who was known widely as booger and we used it. saw it plenty of other places as well.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I had a kid whose first name was David and he was a Junior but has gone his whole life as Scooter to avoid confusion.

11. greenlantern

greenlantern Guest

We used to publish scores for a local YMCA basketball league. Nothing like putting how Sweet Sauce and Spiderman did on the agate page.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i thought they would have referred to you as mr. bear. but i guess you can take nothing for granted these days.

Draft saved Draft deleted