1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nick Saban's bumper sticker

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Point of Order, Mar 16, 2007.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I still don't understand all the Saban haterade. Yeah, he was less than honest about the move. But how many of us would turn down a huge pay raise?

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I don't think he's making more money at Alabama than he did in Miami. And from everything I've heard, Saban has been regarded as an asshole long before arriving in Tuscaloosa.

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

"Less than honest" is putting it mildly, by galactic proportions. More like "repeatedly blatantly lied through his teeth and then attacked the media for asking the questions in the first place."

And yes, he was widely renowned as a world-class dick long before he arrived in Tuscaloosa. Or Miami. Or Baton Rouge.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or East Lansing

5. zizzer

zizzer Active Member

Or Cleveland.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or Toledo

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Or East Lansing, the first time. ::)

8. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I think it was casty or crass ... or maybe it was spnited .... who said the next coach who tells the truth about a job offer'll be the first.

And, you guys are right. He is a major asshole. No reason to hate him, though.

9. John

John Well-Known Member

I might loathe dealing with him, but I don't hate him. I might mock him at every opportunity, but I don't hate him.

I don't know him well enough to hate him.

10. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

So what's the point "lest ye wonder the Mercedes plant is on the outskirts of Tuscaloosa" if it was not to imply that it's where Saban picked up his ride?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

To drive you nuts, knowing that by splitting hairs, you'll be bothered by it...

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Nick Saban's book, "How Good Do You Want to Be," hit bookstores either the same day or the day after he became Dolphins coach. He was wearing an LSU shirt on the cover of the book. Great timing.

The book was recently republished with Saban wearing Alabama colors.

I remember the day in December 2004 when an LSU fan forwarded me a doctored copy of the cover of "How Rich Do You Need to Be."

Draft saved Draft deleted