1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nick Saban: Hall of Fame?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Versatile, Oct 31, 2012.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Not before Blake Bell

2. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Yes.

Next question.

3. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

The Douchebag Hall of Fame? Certainly.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not willing to give them the title quite yet, but they have to be considered overwhelming favorites to win it this season.

5. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Taking the bait on Mizzougrad's up-for-debate question ...

If Saban wins another national championship, someone is going to make a compelling argument one day for Saban over Bryant because of national championships at two schools -- and in a time when you couldn't just stockpile players to keep them off other teams' rosters.

Bear won three of his national championships before 1973, when the NCAA first put limits on scholarships (105), and he won another in 1973, still having the benefit of the limitless era.

6. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Bryant did more at Kentucky than Saban did at Michigan State. Bryant in one season made Maryland awesome, then returned it to mediocrity when he left. Bryant is the greatest coach in the history of three SEC schools.

7. Johnny Dangerously

Again, different eras, Versatile -- which I think leaves the door open for debate. I agree it's a tough sell, but if Saban wins a third at Alabama, to go with one at LSU, I think someone can make the argument within the context of the different eras.

8. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Hey, as long as we're calling them the two greatest coaches of all time, who am I to argue?

:D

9. Johnny Dangerously

Least surprising post of the day. ;)

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Why, how dare you imply that "stockpiling" was going on. All those players only wanted to play for Beah and call their mamas on Sunday.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I'm not sure I would want to compare anyone to Bryant, but I have no problem saying that Saban is the best since Bryant.

It would be interesting to get a top 10 since 1982.

Saban, Osborne, Spurrier, Bowden, Paterno, Meyer ...

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

This. With another title, Saban's resume, title-wise, will be more imposing than Bryant's. The Bear won his when only about 6-8 teams in a given season had a reasonable chance to beat whomever was against them. Now that list is at about 20-30, and about 10-15 others have a puncher's chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted