1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice story on Arkansas prep football player and a display of sportsmanship

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Sep 24, 2009.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

I'm curious as to what he did to get in trouble.

That said, this is a nice little (kind of longer than it needs to be) story.

http://arkansasvarsity.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=992976

2. Shoeless Joe

Shoeless Joe Active Member

Re: Nice story on Arkansas prep football player and a display of gamesmanship

Somebody's gonna be pissed if they didn't cover the spread. ;D

3. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

Here is a similar story, but focuses more on the game and not the Morgan kid.

http://ar.coachesaid.com/Article/2009/9/19/Yellville-Summit-plays-after-losing-one-of-its-own

4. Songbird

You joke about it here, but ... ;D

5. Lion_Woods

Lion_Woods Active Member

Not sure I'd call this gamesmanship.

1)The game was out of hand, so why is the star player even in the game?

2)If the kid really wanted to be a good sport, why not just kneel when he received the kickoff and then let the offense run out the clock?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Actually, sportsmanship would be the appropriate word here, not gamesmanship.

"Gamesmanship" generally refers to one team trying to gain an edge over its opponent.

7. Songbird

You are correct, A-QB.

8. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Both stories linked suck journalistic cheese.

The first is a too-long jumbled mess.

And the second doesn't even mention the kneeling moment, if it happened.

9. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

Second story also mentioned one of the kids in the accident being placed in a drug-induced "comma."

10. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

I hate myself for being this cynical, but:

This quote gave me pause (emphasis mine):

"Before I screwed up and got myself into trouble, I had some schools like Arkansas, Florida State, Ole Miss, and some other big schools looking at me,'' he said. "Now they are not looking at me, but I have no one to blame but myself for that. Hopefully I can get on someone's radar, even if it is a lower level D-1 or D-2 school."

Well, doing something like this, he's suddenly on a lot of radars. Smart move. Maybe not calculated, but I would guess that he now understands just how much that will help him.

11. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I'm not certain he described Yellville-Summit accurately. That's been a straight-up consolidated district for Tebow knows how long. And so hard to get to that talk used to be they were better off joining a Missouri district.

12. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

That quote stood out to me as well, but more for the fact that he took responsibility for what happened, rather than blaming peer pressure or being a victim of circumstance. Good for him.

Draft saved Draft deleted