1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice read about SI autograph collector

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MTM, Jul 16, 2013.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, but he knows nothing about her other than that she was on the cover. There's no name or anything, and as said in the article, the photographer who shot the cover has dementia.

I was thinking the same thing about maybe someone who reads the article will pass it along to someone who might be related to the model.

2. Mizzougrad96

She's better looking than Roberto Clemente. :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

Another pic of her inside the magazine:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Mizzougrad96

It seems amazing, in this day and age, that they never listed her name anywhere in the magazine.

It says a lot that nobody at SI has any idea who she is, or at least has no record of it.

5. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

No record of her name anywhere in the SI business offices?

6. Mizzougrad96

Since the people at SI seem to like this guy, I'm guessing if they had her name they would have given it to him. I think he speculates late in the article that the woman might have been a friend of the photographer. This was 1960, it's not absurd to think the photographer just got some woman to pose for a sportswear cover.

I certainly got the sense that this guy has probably paid quite a bit of $$$ to try to find out who she is.

7. Riptide

Yeah, it was a rhetorical question. I figured he has looked everywhere, but I also figured a place such as SI would have records (and check stubs) for everyone who has ever appeared on a cover. Photog must have been a freelancer paying the model herself, or something like that.

8. Mizzougrad96

That's probably the most logical answer.

It would be hilarious if he found out who she was and where she lived and then she refused to sign. :D

9. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I have a lot of books, but only two or three have any collectability of which I know.
    I'm more of a hoarder of books than a collector.

Same with t-shirts. I've never thought of it as collecting. I just compulsively acquire t-shirts and never throw them out.

10. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I have a slew of video game systems, almost everything from the NES era onward. (I'm missing a few systems here and there.) One day, I would like to hook them all up to one TV, and make my future wife shake her head.

11. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Unhappy ending to a really neat story: She died a month ago.

http://www.laobserved.com/archive/2013/07/model_for_si_cover_featur.php

12. Riptide

RIP to an early 6.

Draft saved Draft deleted