1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice job, mustardwife (coffee + cell phone)

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by beefncheddar, Oct 25, 2007.

1. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

So, the mustardwife spilled coffee all over her brand new (but not new enough to still be returnable) cell phone.

I've taken the back off and the battery out. I've dried it with a hair dryer.

Anyone else with this kind of experience have any ideas what else I can do? Other than use it as an expensive paperweight.

2. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

You need to let it sit for quite some time before attempting to turn it on again. You want to make sure it is completely dry.

Outside of that, you are probably fucked. I would suggest going to eBay.com and searching for the same model, unlocked.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Was sugar already in the coffee?

If it was, probably what you wanted to do the second she dumped it in coffee was to turn it off and then rinse it under the faucet. Let it air dry overnight and then try to power it up again.

If it was just coffee with nothing else, I would just power down and let it air dry.

If anything was in the coffee that does not naturally evaporate (everything but water) you need to rinse it out of the phone with the power off. Do not attempt to have the power on when it is damp.

The hair dryer did not do you any favors.

4. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Hair dryer bad? Bad internet. Baaaaad.

And, yep, turns out there was sugar in it. This sounds not good.

5. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Plus, if it got wet in any way don't bother trying to return it. There are water-activated sensor strips inside that change color once they're touched by moisture.

6. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

I will say this for the phone ... it smells delicious.

7. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I dropped my phone in water at the encouragement of my local cell provider. I had Cingular (the new AT&T!) and insurance on my phone. My phone wasn't due for an upgrade, but it was out of stock and discontinued, so they suggested I drop my phone in something liquidy and I would be given an immediate upgrade.

I guess she didn't have insurance on her phone?

8. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I have a habit of taking every condiment I grab but don't use at fast food places and throwing them in my cargo pockets. After covering something 90 minutes away last year, I stopped to get something to eat, threw a small container of honey mustard into my pocket. When I got back to my place, I got out of my car, threw my phone in the same pocket and walked inside, only to find a cell phone covered in honey mustard.

All I did was wash out my phone with a washcloth and some warm water.

9. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Quick question? Did you not have insurance on the phone?
    I'm not saying in any way that I did this - twice - but since most insurance plans don't cover water damage, it usually turned out that I LOST my phone - very, very inconveniently - when they got wet in the past.
    Just make sure you get your phone numbers first, because if you say you lost a phone and they take it in to get the numbers transferred, busted.

10. beefncheddar

beefncheddar Guest

Nice job, SportsJournalists.com.

Thanks for the help. As of this morning, the mustardwife has a fully functioning and delicious smelling phone.

Thanks for the help, gang.

Draft saved Draft deleted