1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Nice athletes and coaches

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 93Devil, Dec 7, 2010.

1. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Jake Delhomme is pretty nice to defenses

2. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

The most surprisingly nice player I've ever interviewed was Rocket Ismael.

I expected him to be an arrogant jerk, but he was everything but.

He even offered his hand for a shake after a post-game lockerroom interview.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Tony Skinn. :D

4. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

Sean Morey - Not sure if he violates the obscurity rule, but he did make the Pro Bowl a couple times as a special teams player.

Christian Fauria

Troy Brown

Roman Phifer

Ken Dryden

5. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

I'd rather have 'respectful' and 'professional' than nice because nice doesn't always translate into good quotes or material. Nice athletes?

Jesse Tuggle
    Matt Franco

Not necessarily 'nice,' but consummate pros with the media:

Joe Torre
    Jason Varitek
    Tom Glavine

6. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

Nicest I've interviewed are NHRA driver Ron Capps, pitcher Paul Byrd and Jimmie Johnson...the NASCAR one (although I'm sure helmet hair might be nice, as well.)

I was doing an interview I expected to last for 10 minutes with Byrd and he ended up talking to me for about an hour by his own choosing, which was pretty gracious considering how low on the totem pole I am.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

If my experience and that of a former co-worker of mine were any indication, he was just making up for Qadry being suck a prick.

I'm shocked 93Devil didn't start this one with Jerome Bettis. I know some people really got sick of him during his final season, but there is a reason the guy was so well-liked by his teammates and the media. He was great every time I dealt with him.

Is Marc Bulger too obscure for this?

8. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I was thinking of a person who would hold a door open for a little old lady or help a lost kid find their mother.

Nothing to do with quotes or stories, but nice people.

9. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Tim Howard

10. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Bo Jackson, although a touch arrogant, was a pretty nice guy.

11. EagleMorph

EagleMorph Member

This is away from the media presence, or at least the post-game press conference.

College hoops division:
    Phil Martelli
    Mike Rice
    Jamie Dixon
    John Dunne (St. Peter's hoops)
    The late Skip Prosser
    Ron Hunter (IUPUI)

NHL division:
    Max Talbot
    Colby Armstrong

Actually, a good chunk of hockey players are pretty down to earth and friendly. All around good guys.

12. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

I met Chris Bosh standing in line at the cage in Wynn Las Vegas a few years ago. He shook my hand and was nice enough to talk for a minute. He was really reserved and quiet. Even when he was approached by a horde of really hot chicks, he was quiet and not flashy at all. IIRC, this was during the time when Team USA was having a training camp in Vegas. The horde of girls that approached Bosh had just met Battier.

Draft saved Draft deleted