1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHRA

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Speedway, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Bad Guy Zero

Bad Guy Zero Active Member

There was a race a few years ago that Wawd's brother - Jeff - won. During the post-race presser someone asked Jeff why he was much easier to understand compared to Wawd. His answer was something along the lines of "When we were growing up Ward's room faced to the South."

2. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I WILL NOT STAND FOR THIS FUN-MAKING OF WAWWWWWWWWWWD BUWHTON!

Goddammit. I love that man, and i'll shout it from a rooftop.

Hardest part about transcribing Wawd: He speaks slow and fast at once. I can't type as he talks, because the words come too fast...but they somehow are drawled all at once.

3. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Not hammering Ward in this case. What Smoke said was really funny without being terribly insulting. And it kept Jeff from having to hammer his brother, though the room-window-facing-South comment was pretty good.

4. imjustagirl

Ha, I wasn't talking about yours, Sam.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Good enough. Liked Ward, but goodness knows he had to be a little tricky to transcribe.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

If you can't get cell numbers for a handful of drivers in a day at the drag races, you're a horrendous reporter.

Also, if you're a fan and can't score a half-dozen autographs (if that's your thing), you're equally incompetent. The fan-friendliness is amazing.

7. imjustagirl

Shit, if you're a fan and can't get 20...

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I covered the Southern Nationals a couple of times in my days at the Athens Banner-Herald. I never looked forward to it, but it was usually an enjoyable experience.

Like others have said, the access was incredible. Usually within an hour of asking the PR guy if you can talk to someone, you're in his/her trailer talking for as long as you need.

I sat there and watched as the pro stock bike guy who lost his legs when he was electrocuted as a kid, can't remember his name, changed from his racing prosthetics to his walking-around legs. Not something you see every day.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

God yes.

Last time I was there was not as a reporter. Was on kind of a back-stage tour type of thing, and the PR girl leading us through the garage area got called away for about 10 minutes. She left two of us right where we stood and said, "Sorry. Here, talk to Mel until I get back."

So, we had a nice, long conversation with Melanie Troxel, and she couldn't have been happier to talk to us. Just hanging out next to her trailer, didn't know us from Adam. Waiting for her husband to finish his run before getting ready for her own.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

I've always wanted to attend or cover an NHRA event but the downtime between actual racing doesn't look like it would be enjoyable.

Wawd Buhtun is one of the best.

That's funny as hell right there.

11. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Haven't been to an NHRA event in a while now, but they were great back then. Nice to hear they still are.

I was at a table once with the other Burton brother and his wife before they had kids. There were Colorforms on the table and we were just talking and moving the Colorforms around.

They told me how they took care of Ward's kids at times. Couple of years later Ward won the Pole at CMS. Ward held one of the kids during the interview with the local media. Cool moment.

12. imjustagirl

2:44 and on, bitches.

Draft saved Draft deleted