1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL2007 Entry Draft date question -- 23 or 24?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by the_rookie, Nov 27, 2006.

1. the_rookie

the_rookie Member

I'm doing a rewrite for a story and I've come across two possible dates on the draft -- the 23 and 24. In a press release it says the 24, but on TSN.com it says the 23. On the Columbus site and newspapers, it's the 23.

Thanks for your help guys.

2. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Wikipedia also says June 23, if that's any help.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

June 23 is a Saturday so I'm betting that's the day. Now there's only seven rounds so they might get it all done in one day. I think it used to take two to do all nine rounds.

Huggy would know for sure.

4. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I thouht last year they did it over two days for the first time, joining the NFL in their over production of the big day, also televising the second round of the draft. I think anyways. I could be wrong. So you could actually be looking at the 23 and 24h.

5. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It is in fact over both days, and with the exception of the Crosby draft it's been a two-day affair for a while. The Crosby draft was done without any fanfare and was wrapped up on the Saturday.

They usually do the first three rounds on Saturday and finish it on Sunday.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

This year's draft in Vancouver was only one day. My info shows that next year's draft in Columbus is on June 23.

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Oh. I just assumed that since it didn't start until 6:00 EDT last year, it was a two-day thing.

8. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

To me it seemed like a two-day thing waiting for the late picks to be made.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Let's have a draught party at the Goose. :)

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Sounds like a good plan, except let's have it a few months early, say between Dec. 6 and 10.

11. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

Because everyone gets hyped up for the NHL Draft ... :)

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

It's dull as shit but you can read a book/the Saturday paper while you wait around. And usually, after the 15th pick in the first round, it's a toss-up.

Draft saved Draft deleted