1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Winter Classic thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, Dec 29, 2008.

1. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

My favorite puck-handling goalie. [/canesfanboy]

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

The two teams also play Tuesday night in Detroit.

Osgood has been only backing up for 4-5 games, so he could get the Tuesday night game, if he's ready to play and Conklin the New Years game. But that's just speculation on my part, I haven't really heard anything.

Lidstrom may be questionable for the game. Left after one shift Friday and didn't play Saturday.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

As someone pointed out (Toews, maybe), there are two points involved here.

It counts.

4. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Looking pretty good for Conklin to start Thursday.

He's going to start Tuesday for sure, which will be his sixth straight start. It'd be pretty doubtful for Osgood to make his first start back from injury in that national setting.

Lidstrom is still very questionable for Thursday though.

5. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Dish comes to hook up the HD Thursday morning, and the puck drops Thursday afternoon. Can't wait.

And the Preds were only third on JR's list of shit franchises. We're making progress baby!

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

Now that was completely uncalled for.

BTW that play was as much as Jason Smith's fault as it was Conklin's.

7. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I was waiting for you to show up on this. :)

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I like the idea. The regular season is six months long and we need a novelty every now and then to break up the monotony. The players in last year's Pitt-Buffalo game seemed to enjoy it, too. Many said it reminded them of their days as a kids playing outdoors on rinks and frozen lakes.

I understand January weather in Chicago is a little more unpredictable than in Buffalo: could be 10F or could be 50F.

I'd like to see the NHL do this every year for a while and move it around: Boston, New York, Montreal, Toronto, Detroit, etc. It's important to pick the right teams, however: Big markets and star players. An Atlanta-NY Islanders match isn't going to cut it, at least not right now.

Chicago is a very exciting team to watch with Jonathan Toews, Patrick Kane, Patrick Sharp, Duncan Keith, etc. Probably a year or two away from being a legitimate Cup contender, but they could be the Pittsburgh Penguins of the West with all those young players. Should make the playoffs this season and possibly pull an upset.

Detroit, of course, is still Detroit. Hossa, Zetterberg, Datysuk, Lidstrom, etc. Wonder if Chris Chelios will play? Or,if not, do commentary?

9. Flash

Flash Guest

Poor Beef ... I can't stop giggling right now.

10. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I was off the computer for a while running errands and watching a movie, just happened to check back.

11. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

I'm glad you are enjoying yourself. I'm still somewhat basking in yesterday's win. So I'm good for now. Until they make the Senators look like world beaters tomorrow anyways.

12. crimsonace

crimsonace Well-Known Member

Ours kicked the game to a digital sub-channel so it could show a rerun of Oprah.

Draft saved Draft deleted