1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL whoring out to NBC, no surprise here

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Det. Jimmy McNulty, May 28, 2009.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Point taken PC.

At least we don't have to put up with games on a weekend afternoon.

2. D-Backs Hack

D-Backs Hack Guest

It could have been handled better, but the posters here are right about the NHL -- it has to do what it can.

The real screwups are at NBC, which should have known that the late-night transition, if scheduled in late May and early June, could get some interference from the Cup Finals.

It worked out as one would expect at a network run by Jeff Zucker and Ben Silverman. Fortunately, the quick series by the Wings and Pens kept it from being a total disaster.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Well, maybe. I noticed today while creating a nugget to accompany our Stanley Cup story that Game 2's starting time changed from 8 p.m. to TBA overnight. I can't imagine them playing an afternoon game after opening the night before, but why it's TBA is unknown to me.

4. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

The only thing I can think of would be to move it up to 7 or 7:30 p.m.

They don't allow teams to play an afternoon game after an evening game in the regular season. If they try it now, the NHLPA will throw a massive fit.

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Do you think hockey even entered into their thinking in programming meetings? At best, it was an afterthought. Then they said, "Fuck it, we'll just have them adjust their schedule around our priorities."

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

Exactly. They will not end up in a position where a hockey game can affect their programming, particularly Conan starting the Tonight Show. And unfortunately, I can't blame them.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

The thread title is patently incorrect.

The NHL is absolutely NOT whoring itself out to NBC.

Whores get paid.

That is all.

8. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

So, the NHL is more of an abused spouse that won't file for divorce?

9. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

I'm surprised they're willing to go head-to-head with the NBA Finals for two of the final three hockey games. You're not going to pull very many casual fans going against hoops.

10. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I can't find a NBA Finals schedule anywhere. Which games would be affected?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

More like a neglected mistress for whom NBC has an anal fetish.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Because they have no where else to go. No other US over-the-air network would touch them with a 10-foot pole. CBS has college basketball and golf, ABC has the NBA, FOX has baseball and car racing. No room for hockey at any of those addresses.

I occasionally hear rumours that NBC may not want to renew its deal, although they probably wouldn't get out until after the Olympics. It's primarily Sunday-afternoon time-filler material that doesn't cost much and actually outdraws "Jeep World of Adventure Sports". Having to show 2-5 primetime games in the Final is something they bite the bullet to do.

So what's the other option? Maybe a multi-channel cable deal with both ESPN and Versus, although you'd still run into some of these same issues.

GB, I suspect Game 2 is listed as TBA in the event that Game 1 goes multiple overtimes. Not sure what the contingency plan is there. Might have to get creative, like in 1988 when the lights failed at the old Boston Garden. Actually, I'm surprised NBC wanted a Sunday prime time game, as that night is usually reserved for high-rated movies and miniseries.

Draft saved Draft deleted