1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by AMacIsaac, Mar 3, 2009.

1. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

The big day gets under way tomorrow. Will it be a blockbuster day?

Could be considering TSN has these names in their rumour mill:

Defence

* Jay Bouwmeester (FLA) | Tomas Kaberle (TOR) | Filip Kuba (OTT)
    * Pavel Kubina (TOR) | Chris Pronger (ANA) | Brendan Witt (NYI)

Forwards

* Nik Antropov (TOR) | Marian Gaborik (MIN)
    * Doug Weight (NYI) | Bill Guerin (NYI) | Olli Jokinen (PHX)
    * Chris Neil (OTT) | Mark Recchi (TAM) | Ryan Smyth (COL)
    * Keith Tkachuk (STL)

Who do you like for where?
    What do you want your team to do?

Me? I figure the Flames will run par for the course and stand pat ... in true Sutter style.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Antropov and Dominic Moore are healthy scratches tonight for the Leafs against the Devils.

Too bad about Moore. He's my fav Leaf right now.

Is getting 900K, looking for about $3 million next year and the Leafs want to pay him around $2 mill.

Good third line guy.

3. AMacIsaac

AMacIsaac Guest

You figure Burke will be a busy boy tomorrow?

4. - Anyone paying Dominic Moore a deal around $2 million per season needs to have their head examined.

- If Vesa Toskala has you popping in midrin pills for your migraines, why would you want Martin Gerber?

- The NHL has to address the problem of teams sitting players before the deadline, a team like Tampa Bay is affecting playoff positioning by scratching Mark Recchi and Gary Roberts.

- If Alex Frolov (Kings LW) truly goes to Pittsburgh for Jordan Staal (C), you have to wonder what Dean Lombardi has up his sleeve because Los Angeles has quality depth at center with Anze Kopitar, Patrick O'Sullivan, Michal Handzus, and Jarrett Stoll.

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Disagree on that.

He has 12 goals and 29 assists so far this year.

Canucks just signed Alex Burrows for a four year $8 million dollar deal. He has 33 points (16 and 17)

Moore's a good third line guy who's also good on the PK and has some serious offensive upside.

$2 million isn't out of the ballpark. $3 million is

Apparently he's asking for a two year deal for around $5 million and the Leafs are offering a three year deal for about $4.5

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/595550

His work ethic is unquestionable and he's made Jason Blake a better player.

Oh, and he's also a Harvard grad which elevates the team IQ by about 30 points. :)

6. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

The average salary in the NHL is around $2 million, if not higher. Dominic Moore is an average player. Makes sense to me.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Didn't all three Moore boys go to Harvard?

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I doubt there will be many blockbusters. 23 teams still have a legit shot at the playoffs. If teams like Minnesota, Florida or Phoenix start selling off assets now, what kind of message does it send to their fans?

I suspect there will be a fair amount of mundane trades: a third-line winger for a third-line defenceman and backup goalie. Teams trying to tweak a little bit for the stretch run or cover for an injury. Doubt you will see a Lecavalier, Heatley or anyone of that nature involved. Not a Marian Hossa type of trade.

9. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yup

And the third brother Mark wrote a book "Saving the Game"

http://www.amazon.ca/Saving-Game-Hockeys-Crisis-Heights/dp/0771064349/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1236145127&sr=1-1

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

I saw Lombardi denied that trade rumor on a Yahoo! blog ...

"All those rumors about him being traded are, at this stage, totally false," Lombardi said. "The last month he's picked it up and he's playing like he cares."

... Besides that, it doesn't make any sense for the Penguins to trade Staal, who recently signed a four-year, $16 million extention. Why trade someone you just locked up longterm?

11. mb

mb Active Member

Maybe we could ask Ryan Whitney.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I saw Kaberle got hurt again, so probably diminishes his trade value. Wouldn't be surprised to see Antropov or Ponikarovski traded, or even Jason Blake if the deal is right. Luke Schenn might be about the only Leaf who would be untouchable, IMO.

Draft saved Draft deleted