1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL to play in the house that Ruth built?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Freelance Hack, Jun 28, 2006.

1. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Decent idea, but from a fan standpoint, it's a lot harder to watch the action.

Instead of having fans around the glass, you have the ice surface and then lots of open space before you get to the stands. It's a little distracting.

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

This is true. I covered the Heritage Classic in Edmonton, played at Commenwealth Stadium, and if you had seats in the bottom 15 rows or so it was hard to follow the action because of the space between the ice and the stands, you wound up watching more of the game on the big screen than on the ice itself, and when it's -30 or whatever it was that day, that makes it real difficult to sit through.

I don't know how I feel about it, beyond that though. I know Michigan State was the first in NA to do it, but it was Edmonton that did i first professionally, not that they own the rights to be the only ones allowed to do it, I think the novelty of it has worn off. It's now a been there, done that, look at us copy them kind of deal. I don't even want the Oilers to do it again. It was a once in a lifetime thing and to me that's how it should be.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

All points well taken, Beef.

But ... it's Yankee Stadium. And that alone makes it special, too. But I agree -- they shouldn't try to make this a yearly deal, or try to do it everywhere.

That said, I doubt this one will happen. But if it did, it would be hella cool.

5. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

What's the average temperature in NYC in December and January?

6. markvid

markvid Guest

Take a witch, look at her breasts..

Or:
    December: 36.6
    January: 31.5

7. Armchair_QB

That's not all that cold.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Enough already.

This is right up there with burying loonies at centre ice.

Kinda cool the first time, now it's just old and tired.

9. Armchair_QB

But, but... it hasn't been done in New York yet so it really hasn't been done...

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Would give new meaning to "Paradise by the dashboard lights" ...

11. leo1

leo1 Active Member

no offense to you, JR, but this attitude, also expressed above by beef, is pretty narrow-minded. just because it's been done doesn't mean it shouldn't be done again. teams can still do cool things even if they're not the first to do them. maybe it means it doesn't warrant a brief on espn.com.

so maybe it's not national news becaue it's been done a dozen or so times, but it's still cool for rangers and isles fans - or any hockey fans in the new york area. i read that in minnesota they decided not to play a hockey game in the metrodome, but the gophers said they'll try to stage a game in their new outdoor football stadium once it's built. so it's not a one-of-a-kind event, but it will be very cool for all minnesota hockey fans. again, so it won't be major national news like the one in edmonton which i think NHL writers from all over north america covered, but it's still cool for the people involved.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

When Edmonton and Montreal did it, I thought it was waaayyyy cool. And it'll be 3 years from when / if they do it in NYC. As long as everyone decides not to do it twice a month, it can still be special. And 30ºF compared to -20ºF will be positively balmy.

Draft saved Draft deleted