1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL to expand by four by '17?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

None of the big boys are running with this yet, but it's starting to get some national attention.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/08/27/reports-claim-the-nhl-will-expand-the-league-to-include-franchises-in-las-vegas-seattle-and-more/

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Gary Bettman will kill this league yet.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Of course, Bettman responds by saying, uh, nothing to see here:

http://www.si.com/nhl/2014/08/27/nhl-responds-to-las-vegas-expansion-team-report

4. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Dumb question: Does a team in Vegas mean no betting on the NHL in Vegas or just no better in Vegas in games involving the proposed and rumored Vegas team?

5. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Even if they have decided to expand by four teams, and decided on the cities, would they do it all at once?

I'd think they'd want to do two teams first, and then do two more a couple of years later.

And, wouldn't they want to give the franchises a couple of years to put minor league teams in place first, and let them start filling those rosters?

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

Any expansion into Seattle is dependent upon building a new arena.

That proposal continues to be bogged down in details like obtaining permits and, oh, finalizing a site:

http://www.king5.com/story/news/local/2014/08/18/14038960/

To summarize, there are several infrastructure/development issues with the preferred site, near Safeco Field and the Seahawks stadium.

7. RecoveringJournalist

Was Columbus the last expansion team?

8. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

It's one of the last two. Columbus and Minnesota both came into the league in 2000-01.

9. RecoveringJournalist

Yeah, it's easy to get confused in the NHL. These teams were Canadian teams that re-located to the States, and this is one that relocated back.

I could see Vegas and Seattle doing well. Were they talking about a second team in Toronto? I like seeing the Canadian cities that lost teams get one back.

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Wouldn't Hamilton make more sense than a second team in Toronto?
    Can't see the Leafs letting another team in.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Which teams are you talking about? Both Columbus and Minnesota were straight-up expansion teams, not ones that relocated from Canada.

Colorado and Phoenix are the teams that were once based in Canada.

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Technically he led the first expansion team for Italy.

Hey-yo!

Draft saved Draft deleted