1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL denies credentials to major media outlet

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Perry White, Jun 4, 2007.

1. Perry White

Perry White Active Member

(Hope this isn't a D_B)
    http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/si_blogs/hockey/nhl/07_playoffs/2007/06/al-jazeera-shut-out-of-cup-finals.html (via Deadspin)

Ottawa -- The blogosphere has created a minor problem for the NHL public relations department, which isn't always sure which organizations merit credentials for the Stanley Cup finals. Maybe this is a dotcom world and we're just living in it (or typing for it), but not every one of the mushrooming sites is going to get into the official hockey tent -- as was discussed at the Professional Hockey Writers Association meeting Sunday morning.

Of course, some better-known news organizations also have been shut out.

Like Al-Jazeera.

Al-Jazeera has no one at the Stanley Cup finals, its credential request having been turned down. Given the paucity of non-aligned (i.e. Southern California) newspapers from the States covering the final between the Anaheim Ducks and Ottawa Senators -- the Philadelphia Inquirer, Boston Globe, both Denver papers, the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, New York Daily News and the Buffalo News have been spotted through three games -- you might have thought the NHL would have been happy to reach a, hmmm, really non-traditional hockey market, but, alas, that didn't happen. Why Al-Jazeera saw the news value in something that, say, the Detroit News apparently hasn't is for deeper thinkers than me.

So no Al-Jazeera. And no Chicago Tribune.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Watch the 2007-2008 NHL TV contract BE with Al-Jazeera

3. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

It's a better-known name than Versus. ;)

Versus and NBC actually still have the rights next year.

4. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Would that enable hockey to do better than, say, the WNBA on television?

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I, too, have always felt Al-Jazeera has better news judgement than the Detroit News...

6. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Was Norm MacLean stringing for them?

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Skeletor was able to procure a ride to Anaheim and Ottawa?

8. Satchel Pooch

Satchel Pooch Member

This news item can't be true: With my own eyes in Ottawa I saw someone with a credential that had Al-Strachan on it.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

In the United States and Canada, Al-Jazeera is as major a media outlet as The Good 5¢ Cigar.

Idiot.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

Talk about two parties meant for each other.

11. Well, maybe. but, given the state of the league's general North American prestige these days, the NHL's not in a position to make this call.

12. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

"I went to a sectarian conflict ... and a hockey game broke out."

Draft saved Draft deleted