1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL awards/draft/off-season/training camp/preseason running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by hockeybeat, Jun 11, 2007.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Re: 2007 NHL awards and off-season running thread

The team that might suffer would be Buffalo but this area could easily support three teams. Hell, maybe even four.

The one thing that Hamilton has going for it is they have Copps Coliseum. It seats 17,000 and although it would need major upgrading (such as corporate ghettos), it would do as a temporary place.

London's junior rink is lovely but only seats 9500.

And of the three cities, Hamilton would be first choice over the Peg or Quebec simply because of the demographics and the corporate base.

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I know London doesnt have the population base.. I just meant it weas far enough away from TO and Buff...
    but I cant see that area supporting three teams, TV wise as well as attendance.
    Does that mean that CBC would broadcast the hamilton game to Windsor/Chatham/London/Sarnia because its now closer than TO?

3. blueview

blueview Member

It seemed for certain that the game had passed Iron Mike by 10 years ago.

As for Hamilton, it also seems as if there's been talk of a franchise going to Hamilton for the past 20 years.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

You can't buy a Leafs ticket--they've sold out almost every game for literally decades and their season ticket waiting list is years and years long. The demand is there.

If they put a team in Hamilton, they could easily sell 14,000 of the 17,000 seats as season tickets . TV? Hell, Hamilton could have their home games Friday night. TV's there. There are the two major sportsnetworks plus CBC. They'd all be salivating to get their hands on that one.

And Blue, there's been TALK of a team in Hamilton but no one like Balsillie has ever been a player. You could also make an argument that Hamilton got screwed when Ottawa was awarded their franchise because Ottawa had a smoke and mirrors presentation that bore no relation to reality but they were prepared to pony up the franchise fees with no questions asked.

Outside of Toronto, there are more than enough people to support three teams.

I'd make an argument that you could put a team in Hamilton AND a team in London.

5. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

To think Hamilton couldn't support a team is insane. Of course, JR has a huge home-ice advantage in description - he sorta should ... I've been there twice for roughly a week's worth of time, while he's been there a little longer.

But that area is so hooked on hockey that I have no doubt it could happen. Shoot, it's a victory of sorts. Canada should have another hockey team, and moving one instead of more expansion and dilution of a product is the best way for that to happen. Yes, I pull for a team in a non-traditional market, but I feel pretty safe that the area has proven more than acceptable.

For me, anyway. :)

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm shocked that Bettman will allow the Predators to move to a hockey market. I was sure that he'd force Balsillie to move the team to Maui.

7. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

;D

8. Flash

Flash Guest

Sigh ... it is a dark, cloudy day in Calgary ...

9. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Ask Eddie Olczyk, Wayne Gretzky, Alex Kovalev, Neil Smith and Mike Gartner what they think of Mike Keenan.

10. Flash

Flash Guest

I'd be frightened to hear what they had to say ... all I know, Sutter just made it even easier to cheer for the Penguins now.

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

12. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Draft saved Draft deleted