1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL All-Star voting

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mark2010, Jan 4, 2009.

1. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Don't care. The only cool All-Star game is in the NBA, mainly for the Dunk Contest.

2. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

I understand this. But they still aren't starting.

3. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Red Wings fans didn't stuff the ballot box as well as Franzen stuffs the puck in the net.

4. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I'm fairly certain that the Western Conference will have plenty of Red Wing representation. So, really, why the hand wringing over which players that the fans voted in as starters?

5. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

That's true. Everyone plays about the same. It's the principle that counts. The All-Star Game --- in whatever sport --- is supposed to be about the best players. And these are clearly not the best players in the league.

If Montreal fans want to watch the Canadiens, fine. They have 41 home games in the regular season --- plus preseason and playoffs --- to do that. No sense sullying the league's showcase. If I were they, I'd be freakin embarrassed. Almost as bad as the Rory Fitzpatrick write-in campaign two years ago.

I hope the NHL turns the voting back over to the coaches, players and media, to restore a sense of credibility.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I don't see All-Star games in any sport that way. Why do you think the All-Star Saturday or the Skills competition are far more popular than the actual games at the NBA and NHL All-Star games?

Heck the Home Run Derby has become something unto itself, although the MLB game is at a higher level than the others.

As for the Pro Bowl, as of next year you're not going to have players from the two Super Bowl teams, and most likely the teams they beat in the conference title games participating.

Seriously, you want the best being honored, look at the end of season awards and All-NHL team, not at All-Star game voting.

7. Flash

Flash Guest

Credibility in an all-star game. Funniest damn thing I've read today.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

well said

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

you understand this yet you said Eastern conference?

I can't believe anybody gives a shit about this

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Seriously, who gives a shit? It's totally irrelevant to hockey fans above the age of twelve.

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

end of thread

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I've never claimed the game is more than an meaningless exhibition. I'm saying the principle of calling oneself --- or a teammate --- an All-Star is something that should be earned.

Tell me, what's the freakin point of even having the game in the first place? Why not just give everyone the weekend off?

Draft saved Draft deleted