1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL All Star game mid-week bomb

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by indiansnetwork, Jan 28, 2007.

1. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

See, I don't even have that luxury. It's Channel 82 on my cable system, surrounded by Fox News and Speed Channel on one side and some local KLCS channel and UCTV (whatever that is) on the other side.

It's too far away on my dial to get into the habit of scrolling there. And I don't even go that high on the channel guide, because I have no need to look at the channels around it.

Oh, and it's still called OLN on mine. ::)

2. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Had no idea the game was on. Seems if you're not in a hockey market, the publicity is severely lacking. And well, who cares ... until Cup playoffs?

3. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Ah, Don Cherry. Quite comfortable living in 1961.

4. Smasher_Sloan

While not dismissing the utter awfulness of these ratings, has the NHL All-Star game <b>ever</b> been a big deal?

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Here's an idea:

Play the game on the weekend between the AFC and NFC Title games, and air it on NBC.

6. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hockey is like the fourth kid born to parents who waited 20 years between kids three and four. Everyone needs a reminder he's related to the other three kids.

Except if hockey was a kid, his parents would love him. Unlike hockey's daddy, Bettman, who needs to be Marcellus Wallaced.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Bettman needs to be trapped in a room with Joey Kocur and no way out.

8. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yes.

Back in the day when the Stanley Cup champs played the All-Stars from the rest of the league.

But I'm curious, what kind of ratings does the ProBowl get? It's about the same in character because the essential part of each game, i.e. the physical contact, is removed.

Oh, and Smasher, Cherry's a troglodyte when it comes to certain things but he's bang on a lot of times when he talks about aspects of the actual game. He was the first to speak out against the seamless glass and now pretty much every team in the league has got rid of it.

Thing with Cherry is, love him or hate him, people tune in to him. And if you're watching a game in a bar where people are talking all the time, everyone shuts up when he comes on.

His views on fighting and Europeans are pretty much neanderthal but he's worth listening to.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

It's tough to compare the Pro Bowl to anything, since it's an all-star game played after the season that no one, even the participants, gives a shit about.

It probably gets better ratings than the NHL All-Star Game, but it's on the ESPN family of networks so the incessant promotions probably create a bludgeoned 1.0 rating.

10. Smasher_Sloan

If the Pro Bowl didn't have a trip to Hawaii attached, they wouldn't have enough players show up to field two teams.

C'mon, JR, nobody is listening to Cherry to hear about things like seamless glass. They want to hear his xenophobic rants about how all those faggy Vladimirs and Pavels are taking NHL spots away from gritty Murray and Bryan.

11. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

NHL goes to the Olympics. Bad idea. NHL holds all-star game midweek. Bad idea. What's next from my beloved NHL? A move to ESPN The Ocho?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I disagree.

His xenophobic rants are few and far between and only the knuckle-draggers pay any attention to those. He's mellowed a lot.

Draft saved Draft deleted