1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NHL 2013: Off-Season Running Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gehrig, Jun 15, 2012.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Matt is a guy who could pull it off.--in practice.

Woe to the player who tries it in a game and blows it.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

AH, so payroll costs go down.

Ticket prices go up.

Where are the owner-dicksucking columnists of the MSM to explain that one?

3. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

The owners always win early on, just give it a few years and the players and agents and GMs will have figured out enough holes in the CBA to drive a tank through it and it will swing back in the players favour, just as it did this last time when it was supposed to be a complete whitewash for the owners, especially with what was a broken union. The big area where the players did apparently gain was supposedly in the pensions, but I couldn't tell you how without knowing what they got and how it compares to last time. Hainsey was calling it a major victory for the players and a key point to getting them to agree to the framework of new cba. Last night he was saying on TSN that this is a point the players will look back on, etc . . . Beyond that, there was a lot of giveand take. The owners didn't get absolutely everything they wanted. The players talked them up off of a lot of points that were thought to be huge, immovable positions like the $60 million cap in year two to $64.7 million, and the max contract length from 5/6 years to 7/8. It was clear just from the fact that the owners locked out the players that they were not going to resume at the status quo of the old CBA, that they were going to take a hit. But Fehr and the union minimized a lot of that damage.

4. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Fehr and the players held the line and the owners look like idiots again; yet the owners will continue to reap the profits. Damn shame.

The revenues go down but the salary caps do not go down and there are no salary rollbacks; that's the difference between Fehr and Goodenow.

5. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

That's the difference between players sticking together and not sticking together. Don Fehr obviously played a huge role in that.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Yes, the salary cap does go down. It goes down to 64.3 in the second year from over 70 this year. The owners gained 7% in the lifetime of the deal from 57 to 50% of all hockey related revenue.

Fehr did a great job but the owners got a lot out of this just like they did last time. I have no doubt that they will screw it up but the owners did get concessions

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

The "going down" is illusory because the cap this year is set higher but then pro-rated for the year, then it goes back "down" to the same as last year's.

Last time was a disaster for the players, 20% salary givebacks/rollbacks, so the players had nowhere to go but up, but against that backdrop, they gave up not that much, just less of future increases.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

What are you talking about? The cap for next year IS going down. The players were at 57% of HRR they will be at 50% at the end of this deal. Of course it is nothing like last time, these were 2 completely different fights. The system needed a complete overhaul last time, this time the owners said it needed tweaking. Th

9. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Per Sarah Kwak at SI.com:

For the first full season under the new CBA, the cap for each team will be $64.3 million, what it was for the 2011-12 season. (The 2012-13 cap will be prorated off of the established $70.2 million for this season.) In the most simple of terms, it means that the absolute dollars for the players will not decline. The league had wanted to lower the cap to $60 million; the players had wanted to keep it at the planned $70 million. In the end, they met somewhere in the middle, but given the 24 percent salary rollback the players accepted in 2004-05, this is a victory for the union, which from the start had adamantly refused a pay cut in any way. The 2013-14 cap is, however, just a reset point, and future figures will be determined by revenues. It had previously been agreed upon that the owners and players would split hockey related revenue 50-50, with players also receiving $300 million in "make whole" repayments to honor existing contracts, which would not count against the players' share. Furthermore, each team will be allowed two compliance buyouts in order to help ease some of the burdens of regrettable contracts under the $64.3 million cap. The floor is reportedly set at $44 million.

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nhl/news/20130106/new-nhl-cba-who-gets-what/#ixzz2HJwuh16U

The cap is not going down.

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

When the players go from 57% to 50% they aren't losing anything in your world. For next year the cap is at 64.3, that is less than 70 million, correct?

What would the salary cap have been next year without a lockout? More than the 70 million it would have been this year. So tell me again how the players lost nothing through this lockout.

11. Oh, ESPN. You make it seem the average fan gives a crap about the regular season. Oh, the heartbreak the owners have caused. I've just been so melancholy without the NHL. Let us not forget as it has been our 9/11.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Eh? Your point?

I'm glad they settled, but I can't say I'm real enthusiastic about the season. I might watch on nights with nothing else to do, but it won't be a priority as in past years.

Draft saved Draft deleted