1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL's Saints yank credentials of .com sports writer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by dfatherree, Jan 29, 2010.

1. dfatherree

dfatherree New Member

Has anyone else run into a pro football franchise that has pulled credentials for a veteran reporter under the guise of "evaluating its policy regarding dot coms" lately? We have been fighting this since week 9 but not publicly commenting on it because we were trying to work with the team to iron out any differences.

Finally, yesterday, the team blocked our access to practices, team meetings, the media room... we were thrown out, basically.

Here's the story link. I'd appreciate any feedback you guys may have:

http://www.neworleans.com/sports/super-bowl-xliv-2010/super-bowl-xliv-news/318773.html

2. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Dick move by the Saints, especially given Brian's experience covering the NFL. Does sound as if there was more behind the decision.

I've asked some friends who live close to NO about the site and they've told me that there are a handful of retired newspaper reporters working for it. (Took buyouts, were forced out, etc.)

To each his own, I suppose. If I was a retired newspaper reporter in my 50-60s, the last thing I would be doing is working for a start-up web site. (Are they considered freelancers or writing for free just to write?) That's just my opinion on the issue.

3. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

When you are 50-60 years old and are bought out or pushed out by your employer, but still have a lot to offer, you may reconsider this idea.

Those "fat" buyouts aren't always sustaining.

Surely there is more to this story than the team yanking a credential at this point of the season.

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

There was an extended reference to this and other control issues by Payton and the Saints in the Mike Freeman column discussed on one of the NFL running threads.

5. SixToe is right on. Most newspaper buyouts are capped at 20-26 weeks. Could you retire on half a year's salary? Probably not, especially if you still have kids in HS or college. It's not that these veteran writers prefer a start-up. In many cases, that's all that's available.

6. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

On ongoing issue that involved my place and our Saints coverage, too.

7. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Gold star for you.

Or, in these times, bronze. Possibly just a tin button.

8. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

Probably not. If I'm pushed out at 50-60, I'm looking at other careers because I'm going to get pushed out again in due time in the business. (I'm working now to do all I can to make sure I'm not ever in that position.)

And if I'm retired and in position to do so financially, I'm traveling and spending time with my family instead of working for a start-up site. That's the point I'm trying to make.

I say that because I've been told that some of the reporters for that site don't need to write but continue to do so anyways.

Again, that's just me. To each his/her own.

9. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

If you plan well, financially and otherwise, that's an admirable goal many people have.

Reality doesn't always permit this, though.

As for retiring secure but 'needing' to keep writing just to do so, I'm with you. When I can hang it up for good there won't be any lingering.

10. flexmaster33

flexmaster33 Well-Known Member

well said...same boat...abandon ship or at least get a spot in a life raft.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I don't know a single reporter who received a "fat" buyout.

I know people who have gotten more than a year's pay, and that sounds great until you take into consideration there are basically no jobs out there, in journalism or elsewhere.

12. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

What an odd turn for this thread to take. I'm sure the people who write for that site have their reasons. Maybe they like it. Maybe they could use a few extra dollars. I'm sure nobody has a gun to their head.

Draft saved Draft deleted