1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL's 10 biggest jerks

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by MisterCreosote, Jun 25, 2012.

1. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The man is cooperative with beat writers and you're worrying about the torture of dogs?!?

2. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Sometimes my priorities are out of whack.

3. Reuben Frank

Reuben Frank Member

Wow, funny stuff.

Yeah, I think everybody who's spent time around Mike in the past few years can see what an incredible evolution he's made as a person. It's easy to sit in judgment from far away. He did some awful awful things, paid a very steep price, and has come out the other side a changed person who is deeply and profoundly committed to affecting change, speaking to kids, working in the community.

If that makes him a jerk, so be it.

4. Knighthawk

Knighthawk Member

Jim Schwartz is wound a little too tightly at times - every Sunday from 1-4 - but he's far from a jerk. Has far more personality than most coaches/managers I've covered.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Some good points here, but the Tour de France is a nonentity in the U.S. again with Lance gone. Just the way it is

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

No. It is the fact that he has it in him to torture living creatures for his own enjoyment. I say he has it in him because he didn't stop on his own. He stopped because he got arrested for it. He stopped because he was put in jail for it. He stopped because he knows how difficult it would be for him to get away with doing it again. He stopped because he knows just how bad things would get if he was caught doing it again.

Jerk doesn't even cover what Vick is.

Did his experience make him start taking his career more seriously? It seems that way. Maybe it made him start to treat people better and stop taking his gifts for granted, too. But none of that changes what he did. He has the right to get back to living his life, but I damn sure have a right to think of him as a lousy human being for what he did, too. That kind of capacity for cruelty says something about the man that shouldn't be forgotten.

7. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

That depends on who the "real" Michael Vick is ...

1) The dog-torturer he was when everyone thought he was such a great guy in the first part of his career
    2) The reformed, former dog-torturer who lost it all and knows the only way to get out of his financial and professional hole is to not do such despicable things

He may be reformed and a great guy now. But didn't he seem like a real swell guy during his days with the Falcons, too, when he was hanging and electrocuting dogs in his spare time?

If the adage is that real character is who you are when no one is looking, then I'm not going to blindly accept him for being a great guy just because he acts that way in front of sportswriters. His history has shown otherwise.

EDIT: OOP said it much better than I.

8. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

If you are Judaeo-Christian, you are obliged to forgive Michael Vick of his sins.
    He has already been absolved by the United States government.

9. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

Are you also obliged to forget about it and assume he's some neato guy now?

10. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Rueben Frank above has already vouched for his good moral character and professionalism.

11. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

He is not unwell and moderately neato.[/georgecarlin]

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The latter has nothing to do with the former. Part of forgiving someone is believing person is sorry for what he did. I believe Vick was sorry that he got caught. That's it.

Didn't Vick blame his upbringing for his actions? He said he grew up with it. He shouldn't need to be arrested and go to jail to discover that torturing animals for fun is a bad thing. He shouldn't need to be told it was wrong.

So no, I don't have to forgive him just because I'm Jewish. Real forgiveness is G-d's territory. In my mind, he's still the guy who tortured and killed dogs for his own amusement because I think he would still be doing it if he hadn't gotten caught. I see no reason to believe he would have ever figured out how cruel his behavior was on his own.

Draft saved Draft deleted