1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFLers may have to get a *&@#% haircut!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by alleyallen, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Let the players have hair as long as they want, and give opponents carte blanche to haul them down by it. That'll solve the problem.

2. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Heh heh ... the NFL has Pacman Jones and head cases and guys toting guns and other felonies and troubles. And they want to worry about someone's hair possibly covering up the nameplate on his jersey.

Congratulations, Mr. Goodell. You're sure showing us.

3. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

[​IMG]

Troy Palomalu's (sp) new do :D

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  5. BYH

BYH Active Member

[​IMG]

Now, Johnny Unitas--there's a haircut you could set your watch to!

6. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm just imagining things, but guys with the long dreads did seem to have their helmets pop off after contact more often than guys with shorter do's. Or maybe I just noticed it more with the long-hairs.

7. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

Think of it this way: If the league thinks this is a potential safety problem and it does nothing, it's open to litigation. They have no choice but to create a new rule. "Paternalistic" legislation has been on the books in this country for years. Laws requiring seatbelt use and forbidding cell-phone use are two examples.
    Freedom of expression is not absolute. Hence the famous Supreme Court justice's line that yelling "fire" when there is no fire in a crowded movie theater is not protected speech.

Which is the greater problem: Cracking down on hairstyles and the free expression therein; or fiddling and doing nothing while somebody suffers a serious injury?

8. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Businesses have dress codes and hair codes. It's up to the boss. If Roger Goddell and NFL owners want it, no big deal. The money's good enough that if I were in the nfl, I'd wear a green mohawk if that was the league rule.

9. crusoes

crusoes Active Member

I read, too, that the movie "Leathernecks" couldn't refer to the Duluth Eskimos, who last played 80 years ago, because the NFL objected to beer being drunk in the movie.

Glad to hear they're hitting the compulsories before the free skate.

10. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

As a guy with long hair, I say, "BOO."

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

And the sign said long haired freaky people need not apply
    So I tucked my hair up under my helmet and I went in to ask Roger why
    He said you look like a fine upstanding young man, I think you'll do
    So I took off my helmet I said imagine that, huh, me playing for you

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

There goes Joe Willie Namath, swaggering off the field, his sideburns an apogee of sculpted sartorium -- the foppish follicles pioneered by Ambrose Burnside, Appomattox 1865.

Draft saved Draft deleted