1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL writer/media columnist -- Orange County Register

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by boundforboston, Sep 26, 2012.

1. boundforboston

boundforboston Well-Known Member

The Orange County Register is looking for an experienced, talented NFL writer and media columnist. We want someone who can cover the trends and pressing issues in the NFL, including the business a team possibly coming to Los Angeles. There also will be coverage of the league’s top games, though covering California’s NFL teams will be a priority. In addition to NFL coverage, this writer will write a weekly media column. The ideal candidate will have a bachelor’s degree, at least five years of experience on a major sports beat, including a history of enterprise reporting. NFL experience is a significant plus.

The position pays a competitive salary and includes a comprehensive benefits package. Please send your resume and 10 writing samples (including a mix of enterprise, features, gamers and analysis) to Register sports editor Todd Harmonson at tharmonson@ocregister.com. Please no phone calls.

http://www.freedom.com/careers/job_info.asp?id=3003

2. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

This seems like one hell of a position for someone. The LA stadium and NFL developments should be a huge coverage area.

3. tharmonson

tharmonson New Member

While I didn't post this position here (since I had a fairly good idea which way we were going with it), I appreciate that someone did and all the attention it received from applicants.

Here's what we're doing with the position:

Our USC writer, Michael Lev, is moving to cover the NFL and write a weekly media column for us. Michael originally was hired to cover the NFL for the Register, but we moved him when we made some cuts and stopped covering the league. Now that we're back to covering it, he will be on it again.

We hired Rich Hammond, the L.A. Kings beat writer for lakings.com, to replace Michael on the USC beat. Rich worked for us while still in college, left for the L.A. Daily News and then moved into his role as a beat reporter with editorial autonomy for the Kings' site.

There are more moves to come, but I wanted to get the word out about this particular position because there had been some strong interest.

Todd Harmonson
    Sports Editor
    The Orange County Register

4. Sluf

Sluf New Member

Todd, any update on your UCLA opening?

Draft saved Draft deleted