1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Wild Card Thread: Cowboys? Check. Jets? Check. Steelers .... Steelers ....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Jan 4, 2010.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Meaning Green Bay's complete inability to adjust to a bunch formation, among other things?

2. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Steelers showed the way. You know Whiz took copious notes.

3. outofplace

True, though part of "the way" in both cases was having a very good quarterback throwing to a very deep group of receivers. The Steelers are probably a little deeper than the Cardinals without Boldin, but they obviously don't have a guy like Fitzgerald.

That makes me think it wasn't as much a matter of strategy as it was execution. Green Bay had to know it was vulnerable to certain things after the Pittsburgh game, yet the Packers had no answers when the Cardinals did some of the same things.

The funny part was trying to make a big deal out of using tight end Ben Patrick split wide. The guy caught three passes for 42 yards. Big deal. Yes, the Packers had shown some vulnerability to opposing tight ends (Heath Miller tore them up), but Patrick didn't really do that much. Maybe it was more a matter of using the tight end split wide to help identify coverages.

4. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

You bitch about the anti-Steeler bias yet make these stretch arguments about how the Steelers had any impact on the playoffs at all. They didn't.

5. outofplace

Actually, Bubbler brought it up, not me, yet I am being blamed for it. So actually, this fits in EXACTLY with what I was talking about. Thank you very much for proving my point.

Oh, and if you need any more proof of my point, check out the title of this thread.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I didn't see you dismissing Bubbler's point, more like backing it up. That's on you, my friend.

7. Double J

Double J Active Member

Guess what, Gutter? I'm happy to not know shit about football and all its little nuances if having the ball on your opponent's two-yard line means you pull the chute and go for a field goal instead. Whatever. I'll go back to watching hockey.

8. YGBFKM

YGBFKM Guest

Did the Packers lose? [/sorrybutiwasawayfromthecomputerwhenthegameendedandicouldntresistthisdigwhenisawthethreadpopup]

9. outofplace

Hey, if somebody brings up a topic that interests me, I'll join in. But I'm not the one who drew the Steelers into that discussion. A Packers fan did it. So as usual, the anti-Steelers fan whining was misplaced.

10. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Sensitive much?

11. Double J

Double J Active Member

Yeah, actually, I am.

I've already admitted I don't know as much about football as most people on this thread, and I don't enjoy the perception of being talked down to.

Combine that with being still pissed off about the result of the game and the fail of the officiating and, yeah, I'm feeling a little sensitive right now. Guilty as charged.

Draft saved Draft deleted