1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8 thread: Oh Troy Aikman, where art thou?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Football_Bat, Oct 26, 2010.

1. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Imagine Terry Bradshaw in the 90s with faster defenders and a greater emphasis on accuracy. It works both ways.

2. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

I think too many people underrate quarterbacks and just how important it is to have a good one and how it takes a great one to sustain success in the NFL. It was true in the 70s, the 90s and still is today.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Bradshaw would probably do well, actually. More quarterback protection and rules favorable to the passing game would translate to more success than Aikman going back to an era where defenses mauled skill-position players. Especially considering how Aikman probably wouldn't stay healthy against those 70s defenses.

Pick any quarterback from the 70s and any from the 90s and the same holds true.

It's not a coincidence that Bradshaw's completion percentage, yardage and touchdowns continued to climb as the NFL continued to put the clamps on what defenses could and couldn't do.

4. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Terry Bradshaw today is called Brett Favre but Bradshaw had a better arm.

Bradshaw was very fast and mobile early in his career.

5. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

Too many Steeler fanbois on this board to have unbiased opinions of Bradshaw, but he and Aikman really are comparable, which was the point I was making (yes, I'd take Aikman over Bradshaw)

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Offense has never been the texans problem. There is not team in the league taht would take Bush over Williams

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Saying the Texans should have taken Bush over Williams because the Saints won a Super Bowl with Bush is like saying Trent Dilfer turned out to be a better first-round pick than Dan Marino because Dilfer won a Super Bowl. (Yeah, it's a bit of hyperbole, but Williams is still a better player than Bush).

8. This has been a pretty interesting debate, but my point in bringing it up originally, is I would love to see those who flogged Houston for making the pick in the first place to admit they were wrong. Honestly, we all have opinions, but many talking heads went over the top about this one when it happened, but we know those people aren't in the business of admitting when they make a mistake. Only pointing out others.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The reason this pick got roasted is really because so many D linemen who were number one or top five picks in the decade before Williams crapped out. Then, when he started slowly, as many D linemen do, the roasting got worse. Don't forget, in Houston itself, people were ripshit the Texans didn't draft Vince Young, not Bush.

10. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

No, only a mental midget and a moron would try and compare Trent Dilfer/Dan Marino and Reggie Bush/Mario Williams. Oh wait a minute....

And that doesn't change the fact that Bush was a very, very big part of the Saints Super Bowl run last year.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Whether Williams is better than Bush is not even remotely relevant to the discussion. The Saints obviously made the right pick for their team - which is what the draft is about.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Apparently, you fail to understand the concept of hyperbole. I was using an extreme example to make a point. Here, let me explain it so even you can understand.

Williams is a better player than Bush. The fact that Bush played on a Super Bowl team does not change that

Marino is a better player than Dilfer. The fact that Dilfer played on a Super Bowl team does not change that.

See? So simple even you can keep up.

Draft saved Draft deleted