1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 8: Steve Young is calling

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Oct 22, 2008.

1. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Uh, I'd rather have 16 losing seasons than finish 0-16. [/Pirates fan spin]

2. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Oh, how I miss looking forward to seeing Barry Sanders run wild on someone while my parents prepared the turkey ...

3. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

That would actually be a good thing for the franchise, since it would:

1) Preserve for time immemorial the incomparable incompetence of Millen, with a golden 0-16 season as his final sendoff and legacy;

2) clinch the No. 1 draft pick, which they could then parlay into additional picks to build up strength in both lines;

3) pretty much mandate the firing of the hopelessly over-his-head Marinelli and his whole incompetent inbred incestuous staff;

4) strongly encourage the hiring of somebody completely outside the organization as the new GM, instead of an insider with the stink of Millen already on him; and

5) provide a powerful impetus to blow up the whole thing down to bedrock, to get rid of each and every last player possible from the Millen regime, probably a necessity before the team can ever get competitive.

4. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

How about having both? [/any Lions fan]

(Lions will be halfway to 16 consecutive losing seasons after this year).

And at some point, maybe they want to consider spending a pick on a top flight, franchise QB. When your career passing yardage leader is Bobby Layne, who last played 50 frickin' years ago, you have been the clubhouse leader of fail at that position. Not much use to draft wide receivers if you don't have someone to throw it to them.

5. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

I agree. There's more to this, I'm sure, but Cleveland has had a half-dozen staph cases over the past few years. Maybe they should clean the mens room more often.

At the same time, the suspension is another move by the league -- however temporary -- to take back the asylum from the inmates.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Don't hold back now...

7. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

FWIW, Peyton Manning had staph recently too, and that shit doesn't go away once it's in your body.

That said, it's beyond ridiculous that it's become such a problem in Cleveland. I'd hate to see Winslow leave the team. He may run his mouth but he backs it up better than anyone else in the runyourmouth/performance ratio. The Browns need to fix the fucking staph problem already and then make amends with a guy who is the most reliable offense weapon. He's also the most willing to run through a wall. The Browns can not be a better football team without Winslow, no way.

8. Goldeaston

Goldeaston Guest

They've tried this numerous times: Chuck Long, Andre Ware, Joey Harrington ... they suck at drafting quarterbacks just as well as they suck overall.

9. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Even more ridiculous -- Browns players are treated by The Cleveland Clinic, one of the most respected hospitals in the universe. I think the Clinic's rep is really taking a hit over these staph issues.

But while the staph problems have come to the forefront recently (Winslow, LeCharles Bentley, Joe Jurevicius, Brian Russell, Braylon Edwards, Ben Taylor), they date way back in Browns history. Pro Bowler Jerry Sherk saw his career (and nearly his life) ended by staph in 1979. He barely played after that. Maybe there's something in Lake Erie.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

The Lions' sucking IS tradition.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/08296/921898-100.stm

Terrell Suggs is an idiot.

Apparently, he said on a radio show that the Ravens had bounties on Rashard Mendenhall and Hines Ward when they played the Steelers a few weeks back. The rematch should be fun.

12. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

PO just clutched his avatar and doesn't know why.

Draft saved Draft deleted