1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 7 Thread -- does Big Ben Love Playing Football, Too?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by outofplace, Oct 20, 2009.

1. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Not exactly breaking news, but apparently Fanhouse had yesterday that Danny offered the Skins job to Shanny, but got rejected. I don't think that should surprise anyone, obviously, considering he did the same thing with Campbell in the offseason (Cutler, Sanchez).

I don't see Shanny taking the Skins job if it's offered to him after the season, either. I still want Gruden. I'd like to see what he could do with Campbell, but there's zippy chance he's here next year.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

It's like he is a geek asking girls to the prom.

When Gruden called Rivers the best QB in the NFL last night, I decided to bet a paycheck that he will be in San Diego next year.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  3. JackReacher

Gruden calls every quarterback every week the best quarterback in the league. Next week it'll be McNabb.

4. McPoyle

McPoyle Guest

I wanna say I read that a couple weeks ago when the sword began hanging over Zorn's head.

5. 93Devil

True.

I still see him landing there, though.

6. 93Devil

Roethlisberger reminds me a lot of Steve McNair (in the second half of his career) but with much better receivers, a little better accuracy and a little bit more ability to see men come open down the field.

7. 93Devil

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti/1999_roster.htm

George, Kearse, Thigpen, Dyson, Rolle, Matthews, McNair, Hopkins, Runyan, Wycheck, Neal and mason is a nice group.

8. kokane_muthashed

kokane_muthashed Active Member

Who ever takes over the Redskins program next year, I'm gonna wager that Jason Campbell will not be the starting quarterback.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

this is why i think tebow has a shot as qb in the nfl. he's a strapping galute like ben. i'd like to see him be given a shot to run a pro offense.

10. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

Yeah, he makes all the throws. But Roethlisberger's escapability is what makes him so good.

I can't count how many times I've watched the protection break down, only to see Ben somehow wiggle and/or muscle his way out of a sack. For the longest time, my reaction was always "holy fuck, how did he do that?" Now, it's almost expected.

Not to go all fanboi, but has there been anyone better in that respect? Off the top of my head, the only ones that compare are McNair or Steve Young.

11. JackReacher

strapping galute. Nice.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I think that is the part of his game that has improved, his passing when things don't break down, though he is still inconsistent in that area. It helps that this is the best group of receivers he has had to play with. I'm very surprised to see him second in the NFL in completion percentage at 72.5 (behind Manning's 73.5). And that number dropped after the Browns game.

That said, really take a look at what Peyton Manning is doing this season. Or Drew Brees for that matter. And a bunch of other guys. Michael Silver wrote about the number of quarterbacks having great seasons for Yahoo.com today.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnovcJYnClXntYbskYdgxH9DubYF?slug=ms-32questions102009&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

I just wonder if there are really that many top-flight quarterbacks or are NFL defenses just that much weaker this year?

I know the Broncos have been really good so far and it is getting far enough into the season that you have to take what they are doing seriously, but is there any other defense in the league that looks particularly impressive right now? The Steelers, Ravens and Titans had the top three defenses in the league last year and none of those three are playing anywhere close to that level this season.

Draft saved Draft deleted