1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 3: The Daniel Jones Era begins

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Sep 17, 2019.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

The Glazer family in Tampa, except for the Rich McKay years, 16 years without a Playoff win, 0-2. When your all time passing leader is Jameis Winston you have a franchise thaat needs to relegated.
    But Snyder is the annual winner of the Bill Bidwell Award

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how you define a good owner. By that time, he had been an owner in the league for over 30 years and he played a role in significant growth. That isn't the same as being a good owner in the ways that affect the team on the field. In that area, he was more of a lovable loser.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'm really surprised how little reporting there is on NFL owners considering how influential they are. They hide behind Goodell like he's the one making all of these decisions.
    We see them once a week in a glass booth and perhaps on a podium at the end of the year (Dallas excepted). I'm surprised you don't even here stuff about minority owners hacked off about the way a team is run.

4. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

That'd be a quick way to never become a majority owner. Gotta play nice in the sandbox and all.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You really don't hear much about the minority owners. Last year, there were rumors about the minority owners in the Steelers wanting Mike Tomlin gone, but I don't remember seeing any specific names attached to those rumors. Honestly, aside from John Stallworth, I couldn't tell you who any of the current ones are for the Steelers. I just know two of their former minority owners are now majority owners elsewhere, Jimmy Haslam with the Browns and David Tepper with the Panthers.

6. DanOregon

Apologies for the "here" - but even when ownership is in turmoil like when New Orleans was going through stuff - you really don't get much insight into how teams are run. Considering that NFL franchises aren't known for lavishing huge sums on front office people - it's amazing teams are able to keep mouths on their end closed.

7. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

It’s like any company though, right? Unless the minority owners pool resources and have a collective voice, they don’t stand to gain by taking on the majority owner. I mean, every case is obviously unique bc being a minority owner with one team doesn’t necessarily entitle you to the same perks as others.

8. DanOregon

I don't mean taking on the owner, I mean leaking about internal team operations stuff. Maybe the partners are shut out of the big decisions, but you would think they'd pick up some stuff from front office types that disagree with the owner and want to vent.

9. LanceyHoward

LanceyHoward Well-Known Member

NFL owners appear to be covered by journalists as deities. Mark Kizla of the Denver Posts still refers to Pat Bowlen and his wife as "Mr. and Mrs, B". Other papers I read see are only slightly less referential.

Draft saved Draft deleted