1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17 Thread: Kyle Orton's Chance of a Lifetime?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Michael_ Gee, Dec 24, 2013.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Only one of the calls did.
    You can't assume Succop makes it from 36 when he had just missed from 41. Had the 41 kick been from 36, it clangs off the bar, or at least that's how it looked.
    The forward progress call? That's different. A KC player scored, but if the whistle blew it blew. It's not the first time a forward progress call was missed, won't be the last.

2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Poor Tomlin.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You are certainly right about the first part. There are just too many big stories today for the two blown calls to get the play they deserve. The Steelers deserved to be 8-8, and that would have been enough if the officials hadn't fucked up.

That said, I don't agree with your second statement at all. It was the Chargers who got something they didn't deserve. Having a playoff berth decided by a bad call just drives me nuts, no matter who it happens to. Make it two bad calls, both of which could have changed the result, and my favorite team being the one that got screwed and it's going to bug me for a while.

4. outofplace

It is certainly a more understandable mistake, but it is still a blown call that determined a playoff berth.

You are right that there was no guarantee that Succop makes the second attempt, but I'd have liked his chances at that distance even after a miss.

5. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Considering the expansion of the rule book - they should really think about adding another official.

6. outofplace

Mike Tomlin was asked about that very option. He is on the NFL's competition committee. He said that and other options to improve officiating should be discussed.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10215978/mike-tomlin-pittsburgh-steelers-coach-bemoan-missed-call-kansas-city-chiefs-fg-attempt

Before anybody goes into the crybaby stuff, Tomlin has steadfastly insisted that nobody is to blame for the Steelers missing the playoffs but the Steelers, saying "That bed was made a long time ago."

It is still an interesting discussion, especially given Tomlin's place on the competition committee.

Also of note in the ESPN story, the NFL did acknowledge that the officials blew the call on Succop's field goal attempt at the end of regulation.

Draft saved Draft deleted