1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

NFL Week 17: Billy Kilmer tried to commit suicide but the bullet was intercepted

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 27, 2011.

1. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Billy Kilmer could only dream of throwing a knuckleball like Joe Kapp.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's kind of my point. This wasn't some venerable quarterback with a track record of success and long history in one city who was unceremoniously dumped when he still has a few years left in the tank.

He's a guy who can win some games for you, but has traveled around a bit and will never be an All-Pro caliber QB. He knows who he is. Does he really hold any hard feelings toward the Broncos? They gave him a chance to play and, when they realized he couldn't play in Denver anymore, they gave him a chance to play elsewhere. Seems like they did right by Orton and the media is hyping it to be a "REVENGE!!!!" game.

3. joe

joe Active Member

"Revenge" is easy to write. Add that to the cliche list.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting that 93. One of my favorite memories as a kid was Billy completing those two bombs to Charley Taylor in the 1972 NFC Championship game and sticking it up Landry and Staubach's asses. It wasn't pretty but the fat old drunk got it done.

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Jezus, I've been shitting on Orton for a month. For better or worse, this is the Tebow referendum game.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Forget that. The storyline is the potential for the Broncos to miss the playoffs because they decided to save themselves a few bucks. It's not that Orton is great, and the "Tebow referendum game" thing is ridiculous, but the Chiefs are much better of with him playing than Tyler Palko.

7. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Good column by Jason Cole on whether it was appropriate for the Saints to go for the record with five minutes left in a 38-16 game.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-cole_saints_brees_record_dan_marino_falcons112711

8. bigpern23

Agreed. If it's a referendum on anything it's ownership possibly allowing a player to come back and bite them in the rear end to save a few dollars. That said, it was the right football move too because it made it apparent that this was Tebow's year and there would be no second-guessing whether Orton should come back and start again.

9. bigpern23

Terrible column, I thought. He doesn't have a single quote, attributed or otherwise, to say that the Falcons had any problem with it. One nebulous "those close to him said Smith was seething." Weak, weak foundation to build this column on.

It's stupid if anyone thinks the Saints shouldn't have allowed Brees to try to go for 32 more yards to break the record.

First of all, I think it was good for the home fans to get to see their guy break the record. I'm sure they all feel their money was well spent after seeing a record fall.

Secondly, as Peter King, I think it was, noted in his column today, getting the record last night allows the Saints to avoid that topic and distraction during the week this week. I don't think it would have been a big distraction, but now their sole focus is on winning and hoping for the No. 2 seed and not worrying in any way about the record.

There are times when it's a douche move to run up the score (ahem, Bill Belichick), but this wasn't one of them.

[EDIT] This was not the Saints final home game as I thought it was. Still, I think it was good for the fans at this week's game to see a record fall and those in attendance next week will see the mark set for the future.

10. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I think, too, that if Brees had needed 70 yards instead of 30 on that last drive that the Saints would've either run the ball or Brees might have even been lifted.

11. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Tough fucking shit. You don't want people to set records against you, play better defense.

There are few more pathetic things than professional athletes (D-I FB and BB players and certainly coaches qualify) sniveling because the opponent is continuing to try hard after you have decided to quit.

12. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

If I'm Mike Smith, I jump offsides after the Saints get close to make sure Brees can't break the record on this drive. Then I look at Sean Payton like this:

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted